PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny noises when you start your H3???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Default Funny noises when you start your H3???

Hey my H3 is about to hit 13,000 miles. Lately I have noticed a strange noise coming from the engine compartment when I start the engine. It is like a chugging noise or coughing noise that is fairly low sounds almost like exhaust coughing but in the engine compartment, it lasts like 5 minutes while the engine is heating up then goes away. If after driving for awhile i shut down and restart the noise is never there. Just like in the mornings when I first warm it up. Any ideas on this one I am pretty car unsavvy and am having a hard time showing or explaining the problem to the dealership since by the time I drive it there the *expletive* noise is gone and won't come back. I don't feel like having a dealer mechanic stay the night at my house so he can hear the elusive noise in the morning

Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Default RE: Funny noises when you start your H3???

Can't think right now what it could be..but a good dealership will ask you leave it overnight, so they can start it the next morning and see what is making the noise...Maybe a friendly suggestion to them...Because by God, if were mine, that's what I would tell em..

Old 11-22-2006, 04:30 PM

yeah they did offer that and also giving me a free rental for a few days, problem is the dealer is like 2 hours from me so I thought i'd ask here before heading up there. Thanks for the quick reply

Old 11-22-2006, 04:34 PM

warped or loose exhaust manifold? the bus had a warped manifold on the pass side and sounded like it was coughing, most noticably when the engine was cold. as it heats up, the iron will expand and possibly seal the leak enough so you can't hear it. i can't think of anything else it would be.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM

mine does a funny noise also. every morning for abour 2-3 minutes when it is 2-3 degrees c and below. I have 28000kms but it has done it since new and dealer is 2 hours 15 minutes away. It sounds like my fan it hitting something until it warms up

Old 11-22-2006, 05:43 PM

might be a dumb question but do you have an intake? My heatshield rattles and makes a lot of noise at cold start up.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Might be the temperature outside changing.
My H3 is startinging to growl a bit when it gets below 30F. When it warms up it goes away.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 AM

Usually it just sucks a ton of air until the O2 sensors get up to temperature and the engine can tune itself properly. It could just be a dirty sensor that causes it to tune a little early? I dunno...I dont see it as being something you can fix at home anyway so you might have to take it in no matter what it is. Unless you can live with it coughing...then I would wait and take it in for a good checkup. Arent you supposed to have one at 15k anyway?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: wilsoada

Hey my H3 is about to hit 13,000 miles. Lately I have noticed a strange noise coming from the engine compartment when I start the engine. It is like a chugging noise or coughing noise that is fairly low sounds almost like exhaust coughing but in the engine compartment, it lasts like 5 minutes while the engine is heating up then goes away. If after driving for awhile i shut down and restart the noise is never there. Just like in the mornings when I first warm it up. Any ideas on this one I am pretty car unsavvy and am having a hard time showing or explaining the problem to the dealership since by the time I drive it there the *expletive* noise is gone and won't come back. I don't feel like having a dealer mechanic stay the night at my house so he can hear the elusive noise in the morning
I just experience the same for two mornings now, minesound like slipping gear...so how did you solve it.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 AM

Definately a manifold issue. Remember metal shrinks when cold and expands when heated. When the truck warms up the metal expands and seals the gap only to replicate the problem the next time you do a cold iron start. If you want to clue in the mindless techs, get a can of O2 Sensor friendly throttle body cleaner, fire up the truck, and spray around the intake manifold. If there's a leak it'll suck in the cleaner and engine RPM's will change. As for the exhaust manifold, get down there with a flashlight and look for sooty spots around the mating surfaces where exhaust gas may be escaping.

Better yet...Drop it off the night before and let the wrenches hear what it's doing on first cold start. It's under warranty.