PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Enough lurking

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
WBZ
Default Enough lurking

I have looked at this forum a few time but just got around to registering. Since Hummer has gone away we all need to stick together. I'm not very interesting so I will tell you about my H3. I got it new at the Hummer dealer in Indianapolis in January of 2006, hard to believe it has been almost six years. It is white with the Adventure package, sunroof, Xm radio and trailering package. The grill is chrome but all the rest of the trim is black, no roof rack but I would like to add one, I need hurry before I can't get one. It has 38,000 miles and is garage kept and well maintined so it should last a long time. I have other vehicles so I does not get driven daily which explains the low miles. I am not an off road guy but I do use it to get around in bad weather and like the idea that I can go about any where if I need to
I am not much of a mechanic but can do basic stuff if I need to but I usually use a good local shop. The only real trouble I have had is that my H3 eats batteries, I am on about my 5th battery. This time I sprung for the Diehard Platinum which was $200 but so far it is great after about 6 months, we will see how it does this winter. I recently switched to synthetic oil and wonder about synthetic transmission fluid. I have been happy with the Bridgestone tires that came on the H3 and it will be time to replace them in the next year or so but I still have plenty of tread left.
I don't have any big modification plans other than possibly a performance chip and a K&N intake and more efficient exhaust.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Welcome!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 PM
WBZ

That is about where my gauge runs. I had some issue that was correected at the dealer early on and I think the last couple batteries was just Junk So far the new one is doing great. If I could just remember to turn of GPS and radar detector
I am down south in the Evansville area but get up your way from time to time.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 AM

If your H3 sits a lot, you may want to use a trickle charger on the battery if you know it is not going to be driven for week at a time. There is a lot of pull on a battery when the vehicle just sits.

I had a '07 H3 that didn't get driven regularly and the battery would die after just a couple of weeks. The two Camaros in my sig used to eat batteries, too, until I put'em on a trickle charger.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

My 07 sits for a couple weeks at a time in the summer, never had a battery drain or starting problem....... other than those useless POS OEM battery cable terminals. Once I lopped those off and replaced them with Stinger SPT53102s, never an issue for almost 3 years now. I still have my original Feb 07 battery which I plan on replacing before January.

Swap out your crappy OEM battery terminals and see if the present battery fairs better.

Do a search regarding your potential performance mods as well. You should look into a PCM tune, forget the chip idea.

Enjoy the forums.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I do not recall anyone saying the battery terminals cause discharge? Thanks for that bit o info tho.

The scenario is you go out to your truck and it doesn't start. The steelership or local shop folks say.....must be your battery. They take out the old, and put in the new never testing the old (or if they test it they don't tell you that it is a perfectly fine battery because their friend/relative needs one cheap). When they reinstall it, the chitty OEM terminals now make adequate contact to appear as if all is good..... until the next time when the same chitty terminals fail again weeks or months later. Repeat until you are on battery # ___ (insert your favorite # here).

For those that think this never happens, fast food joints never drop food and serve it to you anyway.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 AM

There were some threads on here a while back indicating bad OnStar modules causing unusual battery drain.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Hello and Welcome from MI. Glad you decided to post, but WE NEED PIX of your low mile 06!

As far as the battery issues: AllI will say is a good setr of termionals and a "Battery Tender" like system is what we use on our vehicles that get less than weekly use.