PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Squeak! Used WD40, made worse? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Default I'm screwed

Last night I sprayed Simple Green on the pulley assembly in an attempt to degrease the WD40, I'm afraid I may have degreased the ball bearings in the PS pump as there was a loud metaly noise that came from that side of the motor and I recall spraying liberal amounts of spray on it.

This morning I did as everyone suggested, took the belt off, washed it in simple green and dish soap. Let it dry, washed all the pulleys and dried them down, I even sprayed white grease on the front and back side of the PS pulley.

Initial start up sounded great, no noise no nothing, about 1 minute in the noise came back, emanating from the PS area of the motor. I think I'm going to take her to the local mechanic tomorrow and let them trouble shoot it. Hopefully they can repack the bearings or something. If not I guess I'll have her towed the 70 miles to London (especially since one pound costs $1.50, that's right, I get to pay 1.5x more to fix my truck). I forgot to add I started the car with no belt on it and it made no noise at all.

This has been one heck of a learning experiance and I'm sure it's not over. Stayed tuned.

Jesse

PS Thanks to everyone for your help. I REALLY REALLY wish I was back in the states where I could drive 15 minutes and get her fixed or hell even be able to get a simple belt at the local auto parts place.

Last edited by 2L8IWON; 02-15-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM

I had the same problem, replace ONLY with dealer belts. No after market belts from your local auto parts store. I don't know why or how but this is the only way to fix it. Really strange!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Did you figure out yet that WD40 is a solvent???
When you spray it on something with greased bearings, it cuts the grease, spray enough and it leaves the bearings dry.

It is great for a squeeky door hinge, not good for much else.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 AM

Well, WD meaning Water Displacing and that is about it, like Doc said lubing door hinges.
Keep it away from greased bearings for sure.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Just want everyone to know my fix.. i had a terrible squeeky noise whenever it rained, and after my radiator cracked and forever... thought it was belt, thought it was coming from power steering pulley, no... it was the idler pulley, sprayed some wd-40 in the idler pulley and behind it.. quiet as hell now... to test of this is where your noise, very carefully while the engine is running give the idler a little push down with your finger and i could here the noise changing.... anyways, lube your pulley on idler, or replace it, 11$ on ebay, 20$ at advanced auto.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Last night I sprayed Simple Green on the pulley assembly in an attempt to degrease the WD40, I'm afraid I may have degreased the ball bearings in the PS pump as there was a loud metaly noise that came from that side of the motor and I recall spraying liberal amounts of spray on it.

This morning I did as everyone suggested, took the belt off, washed it in simple green and dish soap. Let it dry, washed all the pulleys and dried them down, I even sprayed white grease on the front and back side of the PS pulley.

Initial start up sounded great, no noise no nothing, about 1 minute in the noise came back, emanating from the PS area of the motor. I think I'm going to take her to the local mechanic tomorrow and let them trouble shoot it. Hopefully they can repack the bearings or something. If not I guess I'll have her towed the 70 miles to London (especially since one pound costs $1.50, that's right, I get to pay 1.5x more to fix my truck). I forgot to add I started the car with no belt on it and it made no noise at all.

This has been one heck of a learning experiance and I'm sure it's not over. Stayed tuned.

Jesse

PS Thanks to everyone for your help. I REALLY REALLY wish I was back in the states where I could drive 15 minutes and get her fixed or hell even be able to get a simple belt at the local auto parts place.
That part made me laugh.