PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

durmax conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM

I wouldn't have mine if I hadn't found it complete and at an amazing price. Actually I'd have the new ford explorer that my wife had sent me to look at the day I found this thing... boy was she shocked when I came home with this instead of the grocery getter she sent me to look at. It was a rough night...

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Well Like Kirk said it is about wanting something , not trying to make or spend wise money ... There was someone selling a white SUT which looked it really great with a Duramax for around $60k . I dont think it sold too easy ..

Either way it is a great truck with a Duramax will be a better beast if you have the $ to spend on it and dont plan to sell it to make money .. Go for it

REBREATHER In your case may have sense to invest in a 50k truck to increase the value however for us in USA isnt the same , you can find a H2 here in the states easily for under $15k , of course depending on year,mileage and condition
For 100k you can get a Alpha H1 with Duramax and everything you can dream about it .. Still dont sells like candy

@H2duramax "boy was she shocked when I came home with this instead of the grocery getter she sent me to look at. It was a rough night..." ... LOL that was funny

Old 11-27-2013, 05:40 PM

We do it because we're gearheads. I want a hummer that isn't like anyone else's. I prefers sleepers personally. no mods noticeable on the outside. but all kick *** on the inside. Mine looks stock until I step on the gas, lift the hood or look underneath it. That's always been my taste but everyone is different. I would do the duramax conversion in a heartbeat if I had no other projects going atm.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM

@H2duramax...same thing happened to me. Found a great deal on my '03, had wanted one for quite some time, came home with it, and I've been paying for it ever since. My wife was so angry and every time we go out of the house I get this "look" from her when the 2 is in her sights. LOL, it's worth it though!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM

I guess im lucky as my wife wanted the H2 . In fact we wanted one when they first came out , just couldn’t aford it .
As to the Duramax swap . Im considering the same thing or even a Cummings swap .
Now understand folks im new to the Hummer but im not new to modifying vehicles. Im having a hard time here understanding what the possible issues could come up that doesn’t come up with any other engine swap concerning any other vehicle.
I can see where the wiring could be an issue but then even that is a mater of either placing the sensors correctly or tricking the ECM into thinking those sensors are there .

Now maybe its just me and my ,as of yet lack of knowledge concerning the hummer ,but IMO one of the issues is that the hummer is terribly under powered for the design . Thus the conversion would not only correct that but also correct the issue with the lower mileage . You could also at the same time correct the issue with not having a 2 wheel drive selection for the transfer case .
Case in point
My 2003 dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 gets 21-24mpg with the cummings and a 6 speed .
Different cross section I know . But its also near 2000lbs heavier . When I put my 2004 artic fox in the bed , the cross section is greater then the H2 hummer and the wieght goes up to near 5000lbs over the hummer . I still pull 17-20 on the open road here in the NW .
I found the same thing with my IH . Folks told me I couldn’t swap a V engine into a scout which was built with a strait 4 cylinder without a lot of work . Well they were wrong . Not only did I do that with very little problem but I also fuel injected the V6 and mated it to the T19 which held up fine for many years .
Most recently I did a trany swap to a 700r4 .

So my point is that I wondering here what exactly the issues for this person really would be .
Yes he will need new mounts both trany and engine . Radiator may need to be moved and changed . drive shafts will change .
When it comes to wiring , are you guys saying that no one had came up with an after market trany and engine harness for this swap ? If not why .
No one has came up with a list of wiring mods or corrections for the do it yourself folks , if not , why ?

As I said , I to am reading this thread with interest, but frankly I cannot , no mater how I work the numbers , understand the cost of this conversion unless your using a completely new engine and trany

isn’t Predator the guys down in Arizona. If it is then they say they also purchase a donor vehicle unless a new drive train is requested . Swap takes 3-4 days depending on the options one chooses .
That tells me that they have the wiring harness figured out rather well . Probably to the point its plug and play

Could you hummer knowledgeable folks maybe go alittle more into what maybe involved ?
Because frankly these prices and issues that I keep reading about seem frankly and sadly to really more about only a few folks actualy doing them and then charging what they want because they are working on a Hummer .
As to why , why not . Frankly for me there is no excuse for driving around in something you don’t want or just don’t quite like .

Old 12-19-2013, 06:47 PM

i also just realized that if a person isnt really mecanicly inclined , doesnt have exsperiance in doing mods and building needed parts . themn maybe they would be better off paying a reputable shop to do the swap reguardless of the cost . other wise you could end up with 2 non runing rigs in your yard and neather worth anything other then parts

Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 PM

Good luck if you do your build. I'm jelly in my 4 speed 6.5TD. Send your spare duramax to me!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Captchee
I guess im lucky as my wife wanted the H2 . In fact we wanted one when they first came out , just couldn’t aford it .
As to the Duramax swap . Im considering the same thing or even a Cummings swap .
Now understand folks im new to the Hummer but im not new to modifying vehicles. Im having a hard time here understanding what the possible issues could come up that doesn’t come up with any other engine swap concerning any other vehicle.
I can see where the wiring could be an issue but then even that is a mater of either placing the sensors correctly or tricking the ECM into thinking those sensors are there .

Now maybe its just me and my ,as of yet lack of knowledge concerning the hummer ,but IMO one of the issues is that the hummer is terribly under powered for the design . Thus the conversion would not only correct that but also correct the issue with the lower mileage . You could also at the same time correct the issue with not having a 2 wheel drive selection for the transfer case .
Case in point
My 2003 dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 gets 21-24mpg with the cummings and a 6 speed .
Different cross section I know . But its also near 2000lbs heavier . When I put my 2004 artic fox in the bed , the cross section is greater then the H2 hummer and the wieght goes up to near 5000lbs over the hummer . I still pull 17-20 on the open road here in the NW .
I found the same thing with my IH . Folks told me I couldn’t swap a V engine into a scout which was built with a strait 4 cylinder without a lot of work . Well they were wrong . Not only did I do that with very little problem but I also fuel injected the V6 and mated it to the T19 which held up fine for many years .
Most recently I did a trany swap to a 700r4 .

So my point is that I wondering here what exactly the issues for this person really would be .
Yes he will need new mounts both trany and engine . Radiator may need to be moved and changed . drive shafts will change .
When it comes to wiring , are you guys saying that no one had came up with an after market trany and engine harness for this swap ? If not why .
No one has came up with a list of wiring mods or corrections for the do it yourself folks , if not , why ?

As I said , I to am reading this thread with interest, but frankly I cannot , no mater how I work the numbers , understand the cost of this conversion unless your using a completely new engine and trany

isn’t Predator the guys down in Arizona. If it is then they say they also purchase a donor vehicle unless a new drive train is requested . Swap takes 3-4 days depending on the options one chooses .
That tells me that they have the wiring harness figured out rather well . Probably to the point its plug and play

Could you hummer knowledgeable folks maybe go alittle more into what maybe involved ?
Because frankly these prices and issues that I keep reading about seem frankly and sadly to really more about only a few folks actualy doing them and then charging what they want because they are working on a Hummer .
As to why , why not . Frankly for me there is no excuse for driving around in something you don’t want or just don’t quite like .
I like how you're thinking, I would love to do a Cummings swap myself or Duramax.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Good morning .
In reading my post this morning , it seems to me like a may have came across with the wrong impression .
If I stepped on anyone’s toes , I apologize for that .
I just found it rather odd and while reading thread after thread on the H2 , it suddenly dawned on my that the Hummer communities seemed to me to be going through much of what the International light line communities went through after IH shut down .
With the exception that the a whole lot of IH folks had been doing mods of all kinds on their vehicles for decades .
What we do however have in common , at least IMO is that we have a set number of Retailers that provide stock parts , modified parts and do restorations .
However a lot of those offerings come from applications where folks have just went out , collected parts and did the mod themselves .
Suddenly when you find a retailer offering the mod in a package , that mod costs hundreds of bucks when the original mod was way cheaper .
But that’s ok because the retailer is targeting those folks who cant for what ever reason dive into the project on their own .
Also what happens is sometimes those retailer charge high bucks because they claim Hours upon hours of R&D to get things to work . They then charge high bucks and the mod becomes bread and butter as long as they can protect their knowledge .
that’s ok , that’s how things work and frankly 2 thumbs up to them for doing that .

BUT the bad side to that is suddenly the cost becomes to high for the average owner and the whole line suffers .
Myself I don’t see hummer ever coming back on the market . At least not at what it once was . The price of the hummer line for the most part seems to be dropping drastically.
At some time the following will have to get reduced to a group of folks that at loyal to the vehicle Just as the IH folks are . Its those folks who are going to advance the vehicle and keep them around and out of the crusher yards .
Thus I wonder with all the folks now seeming to say ; why put 25K into a 10K vehicle. I just have to wonder why we are not asking why they cost is 25K to begin with .

I don’t know , maybe im rambling here but I just don’t see it . Especially if the only real big issue is the wiring .

Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM

My duramax and Allison went in my truck with only 9 miles on them. The original owner paid through the teeth for this low mileage conversion. All the companies I have talked to that are doing these conversions now are offering them with motors that start out with 50k or more on them. I think preadator and mashmotors are both in the thirties for the base conversion. Duraburb offers a less expensive conversion but his are higher mileage. I was lucky to get mine already completed and with less than 10k on the new drive line and for a great price. If it wasn't for dumb luck I would not have mine.

Last edited by H2duramax; 03-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: durmax conversion