PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr side brake light won't go off

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Question Dr side brake light won't go off

My 06 H3 trouble started with the drivers side brake light stuck on. I was out of town so my buddy disconnected the battery. I hooked the battery back up and tested the brake switch. Switch is fine, but drs side brake light would not go off. When I tried to start it, I noticed the passlock light flashing. I followed the 10 minutes off cycle for 3 times and was able to start the H3. I noticed that the passlock light was no longer flashing, but was on steady and did not go out. But the drivers side brake light did go out. I drove it for 10 miles with no change. I tried disconnecting the battery and touching the pos and neg terminals together, but not change. So I put battery on the slow charger over night thinking that the battery may be low. The next day it started right up, no passlock light on anymore but left directional light will go off! If the directional stalk is in the left or right position. The right light flashes. If it is in the "off" position, the left signal light flashes. I disconnected the neg terminal and reconnected, but no change.

I'm thinking that the passlock was a separate issue and my problem is with the wiring or computer. Is my H3 possessed?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Open up your tailgate and look between the bumper and the body on the drivers side. There is a bundle of wires there that go to your trailer light socket. It is my understanding that the bundle of wires is there regardless of whether you have the tow pkg. or not. These have been known to rub the body and short out. That is where I would start looking.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM

the trailer cables:

white = ground
brown = 12v
green = right
yellow = left

if the brown touches either the white, yellow or green you will probably blow the trailer tow fuse since there is no load, like a bulb.

these cables are also on the same cable harness that feeds the license plate light. If anything would be lite, it would be your license plate light.

If your rear tail light is staying on, I don't think the trailer cables would be involved...

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Default update

I took wiring harness apart up to her the frame where it rises over the rear axle and did not note anything chaffed or worn spots on the wires. I also unplugged the trailer harness. I tested after each section that I checked, looking for any changes and found none.
It is interesting that in the harness for the trailer lights, the left rear turn signal and left brake lamp are on the same wire AND my problems are both on that wire.

I called the dealer and explained my situation in detail. After a pregnant pause he responded "sounds like an electrical problem to me". Clearly a Mensa member.

Off to the dealer she goes on Friday and I'll post the findings.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

original issue: drs side brkae lamp on and will not go out

current issue:
Turn Signal stalk in down position, right lamp flashes
TS in middle position , left lamp flashed
TS in up position, right lamp flashes

all flashing at normal speed

Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
the mid position should be open,no contact. since it does something there, plus something wrong in down,,,im calling the sw, bad
That would have been a logical diagnosis in the good 'ol days of direct, hard wired systems, but today, with the body control modules, who knows what goes on inside the 'brain box'!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 AM

The answer is.....bad BCM. The dealer went to the rear wiring harness first and told me that it had already been repaired. They feel that the stuck on brake light (which went away after a disconnect and reconnect of the neg battery terminal) and the odd acting turn signal led them to the BCM which was trowing a code.
3 hours and $550 later all is well.
They were kind enough to recode my remote fobs for, and I quote "no additional cost".

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
still put a dollar on the sw
tom....you owe me a buck!