PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this Disturb anyone else??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Does this Disturb anyone else??

not sure you could get a 4" suspension lift without a serious kit similar to J-Fab's or going with a RD type kit with longer a-arms. I've been testing the limits with my air-bag set up and the halfshafts/balljoints will handle several inches past the stock shock limits (the boots aren't too happy though). You'd have to lose/modify the factory shock or add a shock somewhere else with a limit strap to keep you honest. Don't forget to beef up EVERYTHING. Ever wonder why Travis came up with all that cool shiite? Because he broke most of the stock stuff wheeling. 42" iroks are 100 lbs, the 44" tsl is 120 and the 44" bogger is 145 lbs. Add about 55 lbs for the 2 piece steelies with rock guards/hardware (aluminum might be a few lbs lighter).

I came across this site a few years back:
http://www.hummer.is
click on "super arctic" on the left and then continue through some fun pictures/descriptions. Probably just a 4" body lift to accomodate the 44" tires (looks like boggers?). Pretty cool. The 44's look gargantuan. You could probably contact J-Fab and ask about a smaller kit, but I think it would be $$$ when Travis' stuff would be sufficient.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

ummm... the red one isn't a real SB...

1999 AM GENERAL HMCO 137ZA9032XE185378
http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...wOq9bDgDaCTSi3
thats a relief

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: ronb

not sure you could get a 4" suspension lift without a serious kit similar to J-Fab's or going with a RD type kit with longer a-arms. I've been testing the limits with my air-bag set up and the halfshafts/balljoints will handle several inches past the stock shock limits (the boots aren't too happy though). You'd have to lose/modify the factory shock or add a shock somewhere else with a limit strap to keep you honest. Don't forget to beef up EVERYTHING. Ever wonder why Travis came up with all that cool shiite? Because he broke most of the stock stuff wheeling. 42" iroks are 100 lbs, the 44" tsl is 120 and the 44" bogger is 145 lbs. Add about 55 lbs for the 2 piece steelies with rock guards/hardware (aluminum might be a few lbs lighter).

I came across this site a few years back:
http://www.hummer.is
click on "super arctic" on the left and then continue through some fun pictures/descriptions. Probably just a 4" body lift to accomodate the 44" tires (looks like boggers?). Pretty cool. The 44's look gargantuan. You could probably contact J-Fab and ask about a smaller kit, but I think it would be $$$ when Travis' stuff would be sufficient.
Yeah I realize this I have talked to J-Fab about a 4" lift he has told me that due to lack of interest he dont think it would be financially worth it to fab one. And yes I realize the strain of bigger tires etc that is why I believe 42"s are perfect. Big but not really too big can easily be compensated by halfshafts, rockram, frame reenforcement etc... Plus will givea beautiful break over angle yet keeping the center of gravity just as low if not lower than a lightly modded jeep with 33's.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be happy with Big Jun and 40's.... to be prefectly honest. It would suit my wheeling desires perfectly.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM

I wouldwheel the one 44s....

Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

I'd be happy with Big Jun and 40's.... to be prefectly honest. It would suit my wheeling desires perfectly.
heh thanks yeah I guess im getting too far ahead of myself just put 2" lift on and didnt even get 40"s yet heh! but im just saying I've been in situations where the break over angle on my H1 left me hung up or beached(like the sept24th wheeling vid) now dont get me wrong the 2" lift and 40"s might have gotten me out but a 6" lift(4" suspension, 2" body) and some 42"s definately be better in a situation like that. And yea no doubt my 2" lift is capable of using 40"s but I heard some stories where even with 2" lift 40" tires had rubbed a bit when the springs were fully compressed and doing some damage to the airfilter housing. So even though I am willing to take that risk and put 40"s on my ride with 2" lift really it would be better to have 4" lift for 40"s and 6" for 42"s

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM

just noticed you on a few other forums. Coolest hummer I think I've seen so far is John Andres' 2 door work in progress. Good luck with your hunt for the perfect lift/tire combo without breaking your piggybank. Are you running 39.5 swampers? As soon as I can figure out some bump-stops for my suspension I'd love to upgrade to 39.5 iroks.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks, and yea mine is definately a work in progress. As for tires I am currently running 37" Goodyear MT's waiting till they have finished their lifecycle before I mount my 38" Cepek Kevlars that I got (used) but a smoking deal at $50 a piece with around 80% tread left. After that I plan on getting 39.5 Iroks and also maybe some Boggers as well and running 2 sets of tires one for daily driving yet still aggressive and one for the mudruns etc.
Although I have not beefed up the driveline or anything yet... I know should have done that right away but low on the funds and couldnt wait any longer to get my H1 that 2"s higher. I plan on doing so this summer with frame reinforcement, heavy duty halfshaft kit, rockram, center diff kit, and the steering parts as needed.
I doubt all of that will get done this summer but frame reinforcement certainly will.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM

I have the same problem as you...eyes are usually bigger than my wallet. Have to take a deep breath and tell myself I'm in it for the long-haul and don't need everything NOW! Kid's gotta eat.

rb

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

These things are as bad as a house( or ex-wife ). You seem to be able to sink money into them endlessly

Quick Reply: Does this Disturb anyone else??