PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this Disturb anyone else??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Default RE: Does this Disturb anyone else??

No question, to each his own. All I can say is that when I get my hands on MINE, even if it is a showpeice when I get it, it will have a few battlescars when I start playing with it.. I feel that these beasts are not always a daily driver, and they are built to be tested. Tested and broken. Truthfully, I cant wait to get one, beat it up a little, and have it break. Then I have a reason to tear into it and learn. No better way to know about your ride than to tear it apart, am I right? I have built and helped build countless cars and 4x4's. I have played with everything from twin turbo camaros to jacked up F350s, Acuras to Cadillacs. I have to admit, I am a lowrider at heart. Air ride and hydraulics.The H1 is my White Whale. The one I have yet to play with. Maybe thats why I want one so much. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 AM

if you wheel a hummer with a lift that high you will roll sooner than later -- if your broken halfshafts don't stop you first.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 AM

That is kinda what I was getting at. These machines are made to take abuse right from the factory. A lift and some bigger tires and/or rims may make it seem more agressive, but these were built for abuse. They are MILITARY vehicles. Built for the United States Military. They showed up as a status symbol the minute Arnie decided they were cool. Personally, I want to see what they are made of. To hell with 26 inch rims, tvs, dvd players and all that jazz. I want to have one. I also want to break one. Just to play.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

I personally try to avoid the carnage. Sometimes $hit happens but I like to drive home.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ronb

if you wheel a hummer with a lift that high you will roll sooner than later -- if your broken halfshafts don't stop you first.
Sure will make it more likely to roll over but still be more stable than a Jeep and almost any other modded rigs on the trail definately will be the most stable rig with 44"s under it. As for halfshafts if youare spending 10k on a lift im sure you can afford the 12,100 GVW halfshaft upgrade. No doubt a H1 is more than capable stock. but honestly the break over angle kind of sucks so there is some room for improvement. but then again to each his own.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 AM

This is America, be glad we can even do this. But remember this the EPA and the Fed Govt/State Govts are slowly trying to take our freedoms to do those things with noise standards, black box stuff, vehicle height restrictions etc... Thanks to SEMA we are fighting back. I believe it is all about individual taste, perception and availble funds. I think they all look good in there own way. But this is always a good friendly argument.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed Gunny. I love to look at this type of stuff and glad they are doing it, just not something I would ever do. Sort of like going to the car show, you see all kinds of interesting things you enjoy but would never spend your money on.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Injunfarian

Sure will make it more likely to roll over but still be more stable than a Jeep and almost any other modded rigs on the trail definately will be the most stable rig with 44"s under it. As for halfshafts if you are spending 10k on a lift im sure you can afford the 12,100 GVW halfshaft upgrade. No doubt a H1 is more than capable stock. but honestly the break over angle kind of sucks so there is some room for improvement. but then again to each his own.
I agree that a body and/or suspension lift is needed to help the breakover, but a 7 to 10 inch lift on tires that big is asking for trouble. I have wheeled with the pictured black J-Fab lifted truck. It seemed tippy to the rest of us in the group (there's no more suspension travel up there then there is at the stock height) and no, the halfshafts and steering were not upgraded, unless chrome counts. Most with that kind of lift don't wheel, and certainly don't go the extra mile in upgrading the important stuff. It blew a halfshaft about 100 yards into the trail. While changing it there were all sorts of other problems we found (loose balljoints, worn tie-rod ends, cracked frame) so we turned him around and we pressed on. The owner was pissed at us, but we were saving him from further carnage on the harder part of the trail (and us fixing it). Stock components (steering/driveline/balljoints etc...) just can't be expected to last when one tire weighs more than the stock tire/wheel/runflat/rock guard combo.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

ummm... the red one isn't a real SB...

1999 AM GENERAL HMCO 137ZA9032XE185378
http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...wOq9bDgDaCTSi3

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Injunfarian

Sure will make it more likely to roll over but still be more stable than a Jeep and almost any other modded rigs on the trail definately will be the most stable rig with 44"s under it. As for halfshafts if youare spending 10k on a lift im sure you can afford the 12,100 GVW halfshaft upgrade. No doubt a H1 is more than capable stock. but honestly the break over angle kind of sucks so there is some room for improvement. but then again to each his own.
I agree that a body and/or suspension lift is needed to help the breakover, but a 7 to 10 inch lift on tires that big is asking for trouble. I have wheeled with the pictured black J-Fab lifted truck. It seemed tippy to the rest of us in the group (there's no more suspension travel up there then there is at the stock height) and no, the halfshafts and steering were not upgraded, unless chrome counts. Most with that kind of lift don't wheel, and certainly don't go the extra mile in upgrading the important stuff. It blew a halfshaft about 100 yards into the trail. While changing it there were all sorts of other problems we found (loose balljoints, worn tie-rod ends, cracked frame) so we turned him around and we pressed on. The owner was pissed at us, but we were saving him from further carnage on the harder part of the trail (and us fixing it). Stock components (steering/driveline/balljoints etc...) just can't be expected to last when one tire weighs more than the stock tire/wheel/runflat/rock guard combo.
Totally agree with there is a limit. In my opinion an ideal setup would be the 2" bodylift(make way for the Dmax) and possibly if someone ever fabed a 4" Suspension lift... this would be able to run 44"s but they might rub doing some serious wheeling but would make a great setup for 42"s with no rubbing at all which in my opinion would be a very nice size of tire that would be big but not too big. Also of course beefing up the drivetrain and steering components

Quick Reply: Does this Disturb anyone else??