PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
View Poll Results: A poll
Did your H3 sunroof ever leak
46.25%
Your H3 Sunroof never leaked
53.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

never been to a car wash,only my hands!!,but i think u will see some slight drips around the seal with hi pressure spray

Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Default Water Leak

I'm down in South Florida, and it's rained it's *** off here the past week. Just had my H3 at the dealership getting the tubes cleaned out about a month and a half ago. STILL getting water in my driver's side floorboard. It comes right down the pillar, just behind the parking brake and hood release latches. I can reach up under the dash, and the padding around where the drain hose exits is soaked. Pulled the headliner down myself, and the tube seems to be fine. I lodged my water hose in the sunroof and turned it on low to test the drain out, and it all comes out in the wheel well as it should. I just don't get it. I'm starting to think that I have a seal letting water in somehow. It's enough to drive you crazy!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM

I found the problem!!!!!! and I think everyone is going to be happy (relatively speaking) after I reveal this.
After two years of these leaks, multiple trips to the dealer to have them "clean out" the drain tubes, only to have it leak about a month later.........a "water leak doctor" came to a local Chevy dealership. He told me he has fixed multiple H3 leaks such as this one..............
There are small plastic pieces that the drain tubes run through towards the end, where it's hidden in the door pillars and you can't see it. The little plastic piece essentially takes the round drain tube and steps into down into a flat "bill". If anything small gets in the tain tube, it can bottleneck right at this union. It then gets backed up, all the way to the tray that sits around the sunroof, and wah-lah! A BIG LEAK into your cabin.
The fix? (I have pics, can someone post them online?) The guy drilled out the cruciform, Phillips screwdriver pattern slot, made it round, and now the drain tubes can drain correctly now.
According to him and the dealer, it's not easy to get to these little plastic pains in the a$$.........he charged $160, which I talked the dealer into absorbing, but it's well worth it!! Lots of rain in the fall here in Ohio and it works perfectly now!!!!

Last edited by jbs45; 11-03-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added text
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Did he only fix the two front tubes, or the two rears as well? I'd be willing to bet the rears use the same design, and if your truck is parked on a slope during a storm, the rears are going to have to do the work.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

"years ogo"!, someone talked about the flats at the end of the tubing that open when "pure" water comes down. the concept; to stop bugs from crawling up the open tubing!
so,keep the bugs out,or let the water out! kinda like a baloon when you pull the sides till it flattens out. i say pure because debris is probably the cause of the problems.

now, in the jfwiw area, i looked into window adjustments. the book shows a very poor, sort of 3d drawing of the roof and window cutaway. they say that the window should be .020 in. below the roof in front and .020 above in the rear. mine looks almost level,but on a close look with a flat block,it is high up front and even in back. i say poor drawing because its hard to tell just where on the window to measure. i concluded it was on top of the rubber seal, and checked there. will i adjust(mess with) mine? if it aint broke,dont fix!
obviously,even though they went to the effort to mention this seemingly important dimension,mine seems off and it dont leak enuf to be a problem,just normal

Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Hey Brother can you send me those pics to motormn45@hotmail.com ? I'm having the same problems and need pics to find my way to fix it.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jbs45
I found the problem!!!!!! and I think everyone is going to be happy (relatively speaking) after I reveal this.
After two years of these leaks, multiple trips to the dealer to have them "clean out" the drain tubes, only to have it leak about a month later.........a "water leak doctor" came to a local Chevy dealership. He told me he has fixed multiple H3 leaks such as this one..............
There are small plastic pieces that the drain tubes run through towards the end, where it's hidden in the door pillars and you can't see it. The little plastic piece essentially takes the round drain tube and steps into down into a flat "bill". If anything small gets in the tain tube, it can bottleneck right at this union. It then gets backed up, all the way to the tray that sits around the sunroof, and wah-lah! A BIG LEAK into your cabin.
The fix? (I have pics, can someone post them online?) The guy drilled out the cruciform, Phillips screwdriver pattern slot, made it round, and now the drain tubes can drain correctly now.
According to him and the dealer, it's not easy to get to these little plastic pains in the a$$.........he charged $160, which I talked the dealer into absorbing, but it's well worth it!! Lots of rain in the fall here in Ohio and it works perfectly now!!!!
Go here:TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

1. select the message board resize tab 2. upload 3. copy the appropriate link and paste into the body of your post.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
RJR

Originally Posted by jbs45
Dear JBS45

Please upload your pics of the fix or provide some kind of link to your pictures on how to fix this. I am assuming some kind of toxic mold is growing in my car and my kids lives will be shortened by this Engineering Flaw.

Not sure how to do this but I would bet some techy out there will. I went to Tiny Pics but did not know what to do next... Please show how to get to this area that needs to be drilled out. I am ready to take my door apart.

RJR

Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
I am ready to take my door apart.
Don't take your doors apart! The drain hoses run through the 'A' pillar, (forward of the front door),and 'C' pillar, (rearward of the back door),NOT the doors themselves.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM

I emailed the pics to comanche45. Hopefully he can post them on here.

Quick Reply: Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?