PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Did your H3 sunroof ever leak
46.25%
Your H3 Sunroof never leaked
53.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Default Sunroof Leak 2006 H3

Today I found a pool in my H3. Started complaining that someone left the car opened. Took everything out, all 4 seats, center console, you name it.
Started pouring water at the sunroof edges and nothing came insaide. Then I located the hose, yes the hose in the sunroof edge and let the water go, Bingo. Previous owner ran a pair of wires through the same place as the hand brakes cable and did not sealed it. I need to find out what are those 2 cables for before I take them out. Seems to go all the way to the back speakers.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Default Sunroof Leak

JBS45 - Can you send me those pics? I got the drivers side tube cleared but cannot get the passenger side cleared (front pillar drains). That would be a huge help if I can see where those stupid tubes drain out of. Many thanks!
Email: stuka2212@yahoo.com

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jbs45
I found the problem!!!!!! and I think everyone is going to be happy (relatively speaking) after I reveal this.
After two years of these leaks, multiple trips to the dealer to have them "clean out" the drain tubes, only to have it leak about a month later.........a "water leak doctor" came to a local Chevy dealership. He told me he has fixed multiple H3 leaks such as this one..............
There are small plastic pieces that the drain tubes run through towards the end, where it's hidden in the door pillars and you can't see it. The little plastic piece essentially takes the round drain tube and steps into down into a flat "bill". If anything small gets in the tain tube, it can bottleneck right at this union. It then gets backed up, all the way to the tray that sits around the sunroof, and wah-lah! A BIG LEAK into your cabin.
The fix? (I have pics, can someone post them online?) The guy drilled out the cruciform, Phillips screwdriver pattern slot, made it round, and now the drain tubes can drain correctly now.
According to him and the dealer, it's not easy to get to these little plastic pains in the a$$.........he charged $160, which I talked the dealer into absorbing, but it's well worth it!! Lots of rain in the fall here in Ohio and it works perfectly now!!!!
I'm new to this thread so I'm not sure if you saw my note. I am having the same problem with my front sunroof drain tubes. Can you email your pix detailing the fix to: stuka2212@yahoo.com. Many thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Default New Sunroof Drain tubes

Let me tell you what I did. I took the poles covers off, then I,ve accesed the sunroof drain and pulled the factory tube. Pulled out the tube completly. Drilled a 5/8" hole thru the fire wall under the dash right next to where the Brakes cable runs out. Inserted the 5/8" PVC tube from the bottom up all the way to the sunroof connection and applied sillicone to it, then I connected the tube. At the bottom of the dash, next to the brakes pedal I passed the tube outside the cabin to the engine compartment where I installed a 90 degree conection extending the tube down (at the engine compartment. I have now a one piece tube 5/8" for plenty of water assuring It will only drain outside. This I did on both front sides. I know 5/8" is huge but I live in a rain forest. I will be posting pics soon,,,,,,

Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Tomorrow morning I'm going to do a deep dive on this issue by pulling all 4 wheel well liners, clearing the tubes, and then modifying the ends as needed for good.

My hunch is that the "bills" at the end of the drain tubes have more to do with keeping water from backflushing out of the top when off-road blasting through deep water than keeping bugs out.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by njtex
tomorrow morning i'm going to do a deep dive on this issue by pulling all 4 wheel well liners, clearing the tubes, and then modifying the ends as needed for good.

My hunch is that the "bills" at the end of the drain tubes have more to do with keeping water from backflushing out of the top when off-road blasting through deep water than keeping bugs out.

be sure to take pics!!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Default Pictures of my plugged drain tubes (front)

I decided today since it rained today and I got my lap wet from non draining tubes that I was going to fix this thing.
I took pictures because it seemed that this is a common problem.
I took the inner pillar trim (the one with the tweeter) loose, just took the screw out and layed the trim (wires still attached) on the dash.
Took the sun visor completely out. (3 screws)
Pulled the door weather stripping off (PARTIALLY). not all of the way, just enough to pull the headliner down just far enough to reach my hand in to grab the drain tube.
It was plugged with I don't know what, but I pulled it just outside of the door and took a funnel that fit the opening, poured a glass of water into the funnel.
Water poured back out at me. I tipped the funnel back into the glass.
Took an air compressor and blew the tube out. Something was lodged, I heard the air finally blow it out. Repoured the water thru the funnel. Bingo
Re-attached the tube to the drain and re-assembled everything.
Poured a glass of water into the sunroof draining area and the tubed emptied on to the garage floor.
Went to passenger side and did the same thing.
Tomorrow rain is in the forecast. I am confident this thing is gonna drain.
I hope the pics help as I would have loved to of had some to go by.
Just wanted to add, when re-installing the visor there is a white plastic spacer that goes on the inside of the headliner, it is not attached to anything, just lays on top of the headliner but only goes in one way. there are guide holes (slits) that will only attach to the visor one way. So match it up if it falls out which it did on both sides on mine.

Attached Thumbnails  Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?-img_4564.jpg    Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?-img_4565.jpg    Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?-img_4566.jpg    Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?-img_4567.jpg    Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?-img_4568.jpg  

Last edited by tgwise; 12-13-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM

This is GREAT!! But does ANYONE have a write up like this for the REAR DRAINS???!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Default update

It rained really hard today for quite awhile. I had to park it outside today at work. Went to check on it several times. 8 hrs of rain today and not one drop inside of the cab. Yesterday we had rain and I had quite a bit of water inside. Double or more the rain today and it is dry. Whew.
On a side note, pouring a mixture of vinegar and water down the tubes couldn't hurt, it is suppose to disolve most buildups.

Last edited by tgwise; 12-14-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM

i had a leak in the rear piller to. had to remove all the panels in the trunk, its prob ur drain hose for ur sunroof, the end of the hose is in the rear flares,open ur sunroof and pour some water into ur tracks theres a little hole that drains to the hose, see if u see water pouring out of ur rear wheel well.use a big poland spring bottle or something, no hose lol.just dont start pulling panels off its a pain in the ***, ill give u an easier way if its that

Quick Reply: Does/Did your sunroof ever leak?