PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Does this Computer chip actually do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Default Does this Computer chip actually do anything?

In my experience, gas engines are unaffected by computer chips and most power programmers. Here is a chip that is promising 40 hp atleast and for 600 bucks, it better do so. Does anyone have one or can someone vouch for it? thanks for the input guys! Here is the link: http://www.teakatoys.com/H2_2003_200...h3-per-125.htm

Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sean'sAHummerGuy
In my experience, gas engines are unaffected by computer chips and most power programmers. Here is a chip that is promising 40 hp atleast and for 600 bucks, it better do so. Does anyone have one or can someone vouch for it? thanks for the input guys! Here is the link: http://www.teakatoys.com/H2_2003_200...h3-per-125.htm
40hp?? I doubt it.....Really doubt it. And $600 bucks? F-that. Log onto www.PCMforless.com and read about their tuning options. They have been used by a lot of people on this board and they are loved by all! Best of all, they are only around $150. You might get 10-15 hp out of a tune--if you have exhaust and intake--but I highly doubt the 40 hp claim.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Of course you'll get 40HP. Certainly my man, certainly. Step right up, offering a special deal today.

I also have some lovely land in Florida and a bridge in a northeastern metro area.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 PM

I saw the same ad, and I'm a little sketchy about it because of the price, I had a 98 chevy blazer mid-size with a 4.3 lt and hyper tech made two different chips for it. On the track and normal driving, the price was only about $225 and they claimed 30 to 50 horsepower extra depending up what I did as far as a catback system and the tires I ran also if there was any nitrous, I did notice a change in it's performance when I added the chip to my blazer but it was as noticeable as when I put the biggest cam that I could in it rom compcams, they really helped me out not only with the camshaft but also with getting a new computer chip from hypertech about the vaccuum lines and other things that changed with putting in a bigger cam. I'm sure someone makes a chip???

Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

I found it for $50 cheaper for ya......Try it out and give us the results.

http://hummerpartsclub.com/mm5/merch...H3_performance

Old 10-31-2009, 03:28 AM

Your PCM will find it and retune itself to negate the chip. A waste of money IMO.

Bob

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM

That's not an add on chip, it's a full replacement ECM.

I don't see how thay can claim 40hp on the I-5 (maybe the Alpha V8???).

Anyway, it seems overpriced compared to similar products.

**Edit, wait and see what this H2 owner reports....
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...677#post211677

Quoting from that post:

I installed the air intake on Saturday, after some trial and error. They seem to have added a few extra parts to accomidate the 08's. The PCM came back out today, I'll be returning it on Monday. I know the truck is supposed to run on 87-89 octane, with 91 the preferred choice. I asked the sales rep when I ordered the PCM if it would work fine on lower octanes, and he said "definately, you just may not get all 40 extra hp". Well, I had about half a tank of 89 in the truck when the PCM was installed, and it appears that was the cause of the severe ping and knock. I topped off this morning with some Chevron 91, and the knock went away, but the part throttle surging was still there. I think I'll go with the Diablosport Predator, and mess with some of the tunes the Escalade guys are running. I'll at least have the option of going stock for warranty visits. I guess I should have posted about a brush guard instead, lol.

Last edited by ptcary; 10-31-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ptcary
That's not an add on chip, it's a full replacement ECM.

I don't see how thay can claim 40hp on the I-5 (maybe the Alpha V8???).

Anyway, it seems overpriced compared to similar products.

**Edit, wait and see what this H2 owner reports....
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...677#post211677

Quoting from that post:

I installed the air intake on Saturday, after some trial and error. They seem to have added a few extra parts to accomidate the 08's. The PCM came back out today, I'll be returning it on Monday. I know the truck is supposed to run on 87-89 octane, with 91 the preferred choice. I asked the sales rep when I ordered the PCM if it would work fine on lower octanes, and he said "definately, you just may not get all 40 extra hp". Well, I had about half a tank of 89 in the truck when the PCM was installed, and it appears that was the cause of the severe ping and knock. I topped off this morning with some Chevron 91, and the knock went away, but the part throttle surging was still there. I think I'll go with the Diablosport Predator, and mess with some of the tunes the Escalade guys are running. I'll at least have the option of going stock for warranty visits. I guess I should have posted about a brush guard instead, lol.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by D VADER
Your PCM will find it and retune itself to negate the chip. A waste of money IMO.

Bob
Whaaaaaat?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by GOFASTER
Whaaaaaat?
If it is a add on chip your factory PCM will detect what it's trying to do and reset to arrive at the original factory setting. A re-tuned PCM is a different story.

Bob

Quick Reply: Does this Computer chip actually do anything?