PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by igotahummer
the blizzard in the midwest left a 3 foot snow drift in my drive thought hey i got a hummer i can go through anything boy i was wrong who ever owned it before me put duler h/ls on it which i think is a highway tire they suck *** in the snow getting some firece attitude m/ts on sat good buy highway rubber
I have M/T's on mine and I coudn't get out of my alley in Chicago with 3 foot drifts and 20 inches of the white stuff. I think if you have a running start on the snow, it makes a difference. I was starting off on the deep snow with no momentum.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jrock1956
I have M/T's on mine and I coudn't get out of my alley in Chicago with 3 foot drifts and 20 inches of the white stuff. I think if you have a running start on the snow, it makes a difference. I was starting off on the deep snow with no momentum.
Stuff like this is why I'm glad I bought DuraTracs. They love the snow! They have the snowflake on the side of them and are rated 10/10 for handling in the snow.

I initially had issues getting out of my parking spot with a 4ft snow drift in front of it, but once I got up in the deep stuff, I kept on the gas and the tires just started throwing snow like 4 giant snow blowers. It took a few minutes of back and forth, but I never got stuck.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM

My '08 H3 w/Adventure pkg does pretty well in mud and snow with the stock Goodyears. However, I don't care what you have, when you get the wheels off the ground, you are stuck.

My friends let me go first thru the nasty stuff. If I make it, I can probably winch them thru if they can't get thru on their own.

If I don;t make it, they pull me back out and we go another way.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PhilB
Use 4 Hi Lock, and don't let up on the throttle when you start to slip, let the stability/traction control engage.

If you let up on throttle when your tires start to slip, or use 4 Low, the traction control disengages.

The traction control uses the brakes to "simulates" locking diffs at the front and rear axles, and should pull you through just about any weather that could fall onto the street.
As I understand it, 4 Low or holding the button will turn off stabilitrac but Traction Control stays active. My limited offroading in 4 Low seems to support this. On an obstacle with locker off, wheel spinning slowly, keep on the throttle lightly then bump. Feels like the other tires engage and I'm over. The locker is better, but when I forgot to turn it on it sure felt like Traction Control works in 4 Low.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by atv jr
My '08 H3 w/Adventure pkg does pretty well in mud and snow with the stock Goodyears. However, I don't care what you have, when you get the wheels off the ground, you are stuck.

My friends let me go first thru the nasty stuff. If I make it, I can probably winch them thru if they can't get thru on their own.

If I don;t make it, they pull me back out and we go another way.
If you have the Adventure Pkg. it did not come stock with Goodyears.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
If you have the Adventure Pkg. it did not come stock with Goodyears.
In '08 you might get Bridgestones or you might get Goodyears.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM

In '08 you might get Bridgestones or you might get Goodyears.
Unless it was meant for export, all Adventure Pkgs. had Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S 285/75/16's. Some countries have laws that will not allow tires to be wider than the fenders thus 265/75/16's were put on those vehicles. The non-Adventures switched from the Goodyear RT/S to BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA's in 09.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Unless it was meant for export, all Adventure Pkgs. had Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S 285/75/16's. Some countries have laws that will not allow tires to be wider than the fenders thus 265/75/16's were put on those vehicles. The non-Adventures switched from the Goodyear RT/S to BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA's in 09.
Well, you may be right. However, here is how I got the Goodyears.

I found an H3 on the dealer's lot. It was pretty much exactly the way I would have ordered it with 5 spd trans, Adventure pkg, color exterior and interior, and all that stuff.

This was in September. I noticed on the door, the sticker said it was built in January, so I figured I could get a deal on it. The sales guy admitted that he had not been able to sell it with the 5 spd. So, I bought/stole it.

When I got it home I started looking at it and the window sticker. I noticed that it had the wrong size tires on it according to the window sticker.

So, I called the dealer. He admitted that many months ago he had swapped the stock tires to a guy who bought a luxury edition.

He said he would get me the correct stock tires. He said they came with "stones" or Goodyears, which would I preffer. I went for the Goodyears.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Well, you may be right. However, here is how I got the Goodyears.

I found an H3 on the dealer's lot. It was pretty much exactly the way I would have ordered it with 5 spd trans, Adventure pkg, color exterior and interior, and all that stuff.

This was in September. I noticed on the door, the sticker said it was built in January, so I figured I could get a deal on it. The sales guy admitted that he had not been able to sell it with the 5 spd. So, I bought/stole it.

When I got it home I started looking at it and the window sticker. I noticed that it had the wrong size tires on it according to the window sticker.

So, I called the dealer. He admitted that many months ago he had swapped the stock tires to a guy who bought a luxury edition.

He said he would get me the correct stock tires. He said they came with "stones" or Goodyears, which would I preffer. I went for the Goodyears.
I knew there had to be a logical explanation. I have a 2010 Alpha/Offroad now but last winter I had an 08 Lux with the stock tires and they did great in the record snowfalls we had with the biggest being 24". I am glad you got the vehicle you wanted and at a steal.
Have a great weekend,

Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 PM

I have the stock goodyears. Last year I drove through drifts as high as the hood on it after being leveled. This year, I go out of town my wife gets stuck in a snow drift, but at least she had sense enough to put it in 4lo and drove out

Quick Reply: With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??