PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM

06 H3 with off-road package (285/75 R16 HS Bridgestone Dueler standard).

I have pulled trailers of equipment through an open field of mud 8" deep in some spots. I have parked on top of snow piles at the mall (hey, there were no other spots close). I have driven through streams, street floods, massive snow banks, blazed trails in the woods (sorry about the small trees ya'll) and the truck has only been stuck once in it's life. Here is THAT story;

28" snow storm last year on top of a coating of ice at least 1" thick. My wife (love her but....) decided to take the H3 instead of her 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo cause she figured the H3 would do better in these conditions (smart). Backed the H3 out of the garage and somehow plowed right into the huge snow pile on the corner of our driveway. You know that combination of packed snow, ice, salt and shoveled crap that is heavy, wet and above your head from street plowing etc... Well she thought it was stuck and instead of asking me to help she called my 17 year old son... (love him too but.....) He got in and started mashing buttons on the dash while the thing was in gear... By the time they woke me up the computer went into freak-out mode and it was not going to budge. It was surreal... had to get my wife's Jeep out of the garage and hook up the chains to pull the H3 out... My son said it would be a great commercial for the Jeep.

Well owning both you can imagine what my reaction would have been if I was not biting my tongue mad at them both for not getting me in the first place...

Just to clarify for those not paying attention... in my experience the H3 is WAYYY more capable than the Jeep. It helps to know how operate equipment before you try to traverse mountains no? lol

Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned
Default Stuck? Oh yeah!!

ive learned not to venture off my property. im inside already,toasty warm. ill continue digging later. i went abt 15 feet off the beaten driveway and ended there. i just spin all 4. i dug around all tires,its abt 8 to 10 inches over grass. it didnt move an inch so ill dig down to grass manyana!

same as last yr with stock 265, this yr 285 bridgstone. these stock tires are worthless xcpt on a good road,wet, or packed snow.

im sitting in 4 icy pockets,goin nowhere

i really love reading how u guys drive thru 24 inches. i cant buy winter tires so i really gotta be careful where i go. lucky me im at home!! goin nowhere unless in my pontiac trans sport!!

Attached Thumbnails With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??-101_0471.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Stock tires, had no problems

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM

this may seem a bit remedial but did you try 4 low locked? It pulls me through every time...slow and steady...

Now that you have ice under the tires try a little kitty litter and 4 low (lock the rear as well)... and you should crawl right out of it.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Use 4 Hi Lock, and don't let up on the throttle when you start to slip, let the stability/traction control engage.

If you let up on throttle when your tires start to slip, or use 4 Low, the traction control disengages.

The traction control uses the brakes to "simulates" locking diffs at the front and rear axles, and should pull you through just about any weather that could fall onto the street.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

yeah i know where the buttons are !
i got slowed,sunk in,spun all 4 and made nice little icy smooth dips in the soft snow. i shoveled dug down for 3 feet,under the tires, and got out,,,and im staying out!
its not a gamble i would make off my property where i can walk home

Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 AM

I'm running the Cooper STT 35's right now and we just had 6 inches of snow (edit officially 8 inches) here in Arkansas so I got to play with them. I aired down to 18 pounds and did a little "snow drifting" I turned off stability as you can see. Before I did that it kept going into limp mode and the brakes were applied. Yeah GM I WANTED to be unstable!
I shot this with a wireless remote.
Name:  9648.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  58.3 KB

Last edited by Hunner; 02-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM

We have had 15-20 inches of snow here in NW Arkansas. The H3 had absolutely no problems what so ever. Its almost boring driving in the stuff. I turned off the traction control so I could have little more fun. Never changed out of the 4hi mode. 285/75r16 Dueler a/t.
That being said, we did get a ford f450 (ambulance) stuck yesteday morning. Luckily one of the local Fire depts had an originaly hummer as a brush truck. They were able to hook onto us and pull us out, then make tracks for us to follow until we hit the highway.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

the blizzard in the midwest left a 3 foot snow drift in my drive thought hey i got a hummer i can go through anything boy i was wrong who ever owned it before me put duler h/ls on it which i think is a highway tire they suck *** in the snow getting some firece attitude m/ts on sat good buy highway rubber

Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM

If you still have the stock tires still on, you can get stuck, especially in drifts that have a hard snow crust on top. I've come close. 4 low with front and rear diffs locked was the only way to get out, barely.

Quick Reply: With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??