PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash/Windshield Rattle at Higher Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Question Dash/Windshield Rattle at Higher Speeds

Has anyone figured out the rattling that comes from the left and/or right sides of the dash/windshield area at higher speeds? I have had three H2's and they all tend to do it. I am not sure if it is loose parts on the dash, or if it is loose trim pieces around the wipers, etc. I'm hoping maybe someone has figured some sort of a stabilization technique?

Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Been a number of threads about this on here (in the H2 section) and some of the other forums. Common issue. Its the plastic panels that run vertically along each side of the windshield. Some people try to silicone them down (I'd suggest not doing that as eventually the windshield will be replaced and then getting the old silicone off will be a nightmare).

The proper fix is to remove the few screws that attach them in the door frame (get to them when the door is open). Take them off, clean the back side off very good and any remaining double sided tape off. Then get a small roll of 3M VHB tape at any auto parts store (it has a red liner on the tape and is common sold for vehicle trim and emblems). Put a half inch wide strip of the new tape along the edge that is against the windshield. Reinstall the plastic panels by starting to peel just a tiny bit of the liner off the foam tape so you can grab it, then screw the in place, then pull the rest of the liner off the tape and press them tight against the glass to stick them down.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Been a number of threads about this on here (in the H2 section) and some of the other forums. Common issue. Its the plastic panels that run vertically along each side of the windshield. Some people try to silicone them down (I'd suggest not doing that as eventually the windshield will be replaced and then getting the old silicone off will be a nightmare).

The proper fix is to remove the few screws that attach them in the door frame (get to them when the door is open). Take them off, clean the back side off very good and any remaining double sided tape off. Then get a small roll of 3M VHB tape at any auto parts store (it has a red liner on the tape and is common sold for vehicle trim and emblems). Put a half inch wide strip of the new tape along the edge that is against the windshield. Reinstall the plastic panels by starting to peel just a tiny bit of the liner off the foam tape so you can grab it, then screw the in place, then pull the rest of the liner off the tape and press them tight against the glass to stick them down.
Thank you! Your instructions were perfect. I did it last night in about 25 minutes both sides! I used 1" Gorilla 2 sided tape and the panels seem locked in! I am looking forward to giving it a ride later to test it. Looks like from other posts, if its not this, it may be the sunroof visor or the air boxes? Hopefully this does the trick tho!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM

No problem. Hopefully that takes care of it. One thing I've discovered on mine - the aerodynamic style wipers also chatter. I guess the windshield is too vertical for them. I've loved the RainX wipers on my other vehicles but I'm going to have to take them off of my H2 and go back the the traditional metal arms.