PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can I get some much needed advice before I upgrade rims/tires/suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Red face Can I get some much needed advice before I upgrade rims/tires/suspension

Hey guys---

I have been doing as best as I can in researching all my options before I pull the trigger on new tires/rims/suspension...I know these type questions are asked ten million times but can y'all help me out too ??....LOL

I have an '03 H2 presently stock....
I have decided to go with Ballistic Jester 20"x 9" rims -12 offset with Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50x20 tires....
I don't want to go with a lift right now, heck to be honest just can't convince my wife to let me spend that much money right now...lol...

So, I just wanted to crank the stock keys/torsion bars enough to give me clearance up front on the 37's---- I presently sit right at 41" (measuring from the ground to bottom of my fender flare) in front, and 41 1/2" in back (measuring same from the ground to bottom of my fender flare) running stock coils too on back... I have adjusted the keys a couple months ago and was able to get a nice leveled look from front to back so I know this is no problem to level it out...went back though to original settings once I discovered that it was messing up the front shock performance and all that...

Shouldn't I be able to get ENOUGH clearance up front with my stock keys to adequately clear the 37's (especially only going with the 12.50 width)??

If I can get adequate clearance upfront, from what I have learned here I STILL need to get a longer shock upfront correct??? Can someone give me a part number of what shock to get??? Bilstein is one I have looked at on Trail Duty.com for a longer shock (they listed at $90 a shock).... any recommendation on which to get?? price??

Thanks guys in advance for any help ok..... I want to eventually go with a Cognito leveling kit or some sort of lift kit but for now I gotta go with what I can afford to do....so let me know if I haven't covered some item I need to address with the plan I have decided on....

Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by coop65sr
Hey guys---

I have been doing as best as I can in researching all my options before I pull the trigger on new tires/rims/suspension...I know these type questions are asked ten million times but can y'all help me out too ??....LOL

I have an '03 H2 presently stock....
I have decided to go with Ballistic Jester 20"x 9" rims -12 offset with Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50x20 tires....
I don't want to go with a lift right now, heck to be honest just can't convince my wife to let me spend that much money right now...lol...

So, I just wanted to crank the stock keys/torsion bars enough to give me clearance up front on the 37's---- I presently sit right at 41" (measuring from the ground to bottom of my fender flare) in front, and 41 1/2" in back (measuring same from the ground to bottom of my fender flare) running stock coils too on back... I have adjusted the keys a couple months ago and was able to get a nice leveled look from front to back so I know this is no problem to level it out...went back though to original settings once I discovered that it was messing up the front shock performance and all that...

Shouldn't I be able to get ENOUGH clearance up front with my stock keys to adequately clear the 37's (especially only going with the 12.50 width)??

If I can get adequate clearance upfront, from what I have learned here I STILL need to get a longer shock upfront correct??? Can someone give me a part number of what shock to get??? Bilstein is one I have looked at on Trail Duty.com for a longer shock (they listed at $90 a shock).... any recommendation on which to get?? price??

Thanks guys in advance for any help ok..... I want to eventually go with a Cognito leveling kit or some sort of lift kit but for now I gotta go with what I can afford to do....so let me know if I haven't covered some item I need to address with the plan I have decided on....
They will fit but will rub slightly when turning the wheel or hitting bumps. Bigger shocks not necessary. I have the same wheels but with mud grappler tires. Pretty sure we talked via pm...good luck!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Caraddict
They will fit but will rub slightly when turning the wheel or hitting bumps. Bigger shocks not necessary. I have the same wheels but with mud grappler tires. Pretty sure we talked via pm...good luck!
Yeah we did and I still thank ya because if it weren't for your thread showing your new tires/rims, I don't think I would have ever made my mind up on what rims to choose!!! LOL.... Come to see from one of your other posts too that we are buying from the same company outside chicago too.... I tried to order the other day but they were out of the -12 offset rims, unfortunately until about the second week of March...gotta wait till then to order
Gonna pull the trigger on it then though

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by coop65sr
Yeah we did and I still thank ya because if it weren't for your thread showing your new tires/rims, I don't think I would have ever made my mind up on what rims to choose!!! LOL.... Come to see from one of your other posts too that we are buying from the same company outside chicago too.... I tried to order the other day but they were out of the -12 offset rims, unfortunately until about the second week of March...gotta wait till then to order
Gonna pull the trigger on it then though
No problem! Wow I'm glad I got mine when I did...Trust me they are worth the wait! My favorite mod for sure! Congrats & please post pics when you get them installed!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 AM

That offset is only 0.5" If your thinking about a lift, some of them require more offset that what your looking at. I'd narrow down what lift you'd go w/ just in case it gets approved, make sure your wheels will work.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Are you planning on doing any wheeling, or is it a just street use only? If so, take into account you will need even more clearance, and the bigger the rim, is not better.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

I will not do any serious wheeling probably but do some deer hunting and just some minor offroading.. I am going to keep my OEM rims and put some good mud tires on them and use them as my hunting/winter setup if I need them...on down the road... winters down here in the south aren't too bad..lol

I believe I still want to go ahead and put some aftermarket LONGER shocks on due to the TB keys lift... Bilstein or something good...anybody got recommendations and place where I can get a good price on them?? Part numbers would be a great help too so that I don't get the wrong thing....

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Note your stock rims only work w 1 of the less common lifts available.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM

As far as the shocks go it matters if your going to lift it.
as a general rule of thumb you dont need to replace them if you just lifted the front end less than 1 1/2 to 2 inches. anything more than that and there is a good chance you will destroy your shocks from overextending them all the time. Go to bilsteins website and decide on which shock works for you. the 5100 and 5160 series are wonderful and they make em in different lengths (depending on the lift). You can then order them by part # from Shox.com and they will mail em to your door. Wonderful shock, lifetime warranty, great steet ride.