PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Camera questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Default Camera questions

OK, so the '06 H3 is coming in this weekend... The first thing I want to do is to add a rear view camera. Also want to add a DVD player. Also have NAV. So, I have a few options, here, but I'm horrible at electronics, so I'll have to get a shop to do it, regardless. It'd be great to be able to watch something interesting when I'm waiting for my nieces to get done with band / cross-country / typical after school practice.

Several questions:
I've seen several aftermarket cams wired into the NAV here. Is this general to most cams? Is this a relatively easy install? Will I end up paying more than the cost of the camera in installation? Is it possible to hook up a DVD player to the NAV in addition to the camera?

If I don't do that, I can always put in a rear view LCD display in a visor system. Is there a visor rear view camera LCD display that also has a DVD player? I seem to be able to find the visors that are one or the other, but not both.

I could always get a visor DVD player, and an aftermarket NAV-hooked-up rear camera, too, but would prefer a compact-one install system.

Thanks for the help, all!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Do you know anyone who's good at wiring? If so, just buy an after market double din that has all the bell's and whistles you want (Rear view camera linkage, DVD player, MP3 player, Ipod connection, USB port, and navigation)

I boguht a Pioneer that does all of that and I'm just adding features to it one at a time as money becomes available. I had Best Buy do my install on another car and it cost about half of what I paid for the unit. (I didn't know wiring or had access to somone who did at the time.) I just installed it on my H3 by myself (Since the wiring was already done.) and it was really easy to purchase the little plastic mounting bracket for the double din and screw it all together. You'll have to purchase the proper connctions to link up the antennae for radio and the adaptor to get your OnStar and Door Chime function to chime in.

Then you can just add the rearview camera when you get the time, update the navigation unit, and play DVD's normally with that feature.