PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Default Brake Question

Hey guys. I'm having some issues with the brakes on my 2007 H3. It doesn't seem like a brake pad thing. The previous owner added slotted discs which squeaked a bit so it's tough to know for sure. So I wanted to ask your opinions.

When I press the pedal I never know what I'm going to get. Sometimes it's solid, sometimes it has a little travel before they engage and sometimes it's a lot of travel. I can always "pump them up" to solid though. There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

A possible related/unrelated thing is a have recently gotten the check engine light on. It popped on and one time said fuel cap in the display. I reset the light but a few days later it returned. I read that is usually an emissions thing though.

I can easily change brake pads but beyond that I don't have the equipment or space. If you have replaced the pads on your Hummer were the symptoms similar or does it sound like a different issue? My experience is when brake pads are bad they are always bad every time you press the pedal so I'm thinking something else. My unprofessional opinion is that there is air in the lines but I'm not sure and don't want to attempt bleeding them myself.

Thanks

NOTE: Just noticed that perhaps this should be moved to the H3 section. Sorry about that.

Last edited by ChadB; 10-07-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I would not use slotted cross drilled rotors on an H3 unless it is purely a road queen. They chew up pads too, and if you get uneven wear, your symptoms fit to a certain extent. When its time to do brakes, IMHO return to the tried and true AC Delco pads and rotors.

Your "fuel Cap" and any CEL (P0442 & P0455) have nothing to do with brakes. See this other thread for that. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...42-code-33936/

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 PM
rsc

I'm betting you have air in the system somewhere.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I think air too. It's a little freaky in traffic to press the pedal and have so much travel, especially with something so heavy.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChadB

When I press the pedal I never know what I'm going to get. Sometimes it's solid, sometimes it has a little travel before they engage and sometimes it's a lot of travel. I can always "pump them up" to solid though. There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir.
Raise vehicle, with wheels off the ground, and check for brake drag, common problem if brakes are overheating. Also check for loose wheel bearings while wheels are off the ground. GL