PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack Cure

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Thumbs up Bike Rack Cure

Hey guys -

I've been searching this forum for everything, and I've noticed a lot of posts/complaints about bike racks... Being a cycling/tri-athalon enthusiast, a bike rack is a top priority. I will be getting a roof rack for snowboards and kayaks, and most likely a bike carrier for it for the long road trips - but for short trips to a mtb park or a road trail, I've got an answer.

I hate hitch racks, and when I used to sell them, I had a few instances of folks' losing their bikes on the hwy due to failure. I dig roof racks, but if I'm only driving 30min, I don't want the hassle.

When I used to drive a Nissan Xterra, I bought an interior mount. I'll be buying and modifying or making the same thing for the H3 in a few days.

Here's links to the Nissan stuff for a better idea of it. For the DIY, I won't be bolting the rack down, instead, I'll be using a stud and a wing nut for easy removal. If I'm feeling spunky I'll do a write-up, but I doubt it's worth it.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8881

http://nissanpartspeople.com/searchp...r+Bike+Carrier

Hope this helps some folks!

B

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

I have a Yakima roof rack and honestly storing inside looks like way more work than putting it on the roof. You have to remove the front tire, and the seat, fold down the rear seat, back the bike in and clamp down the fork then attach the front tire to the storage fork. I just take the front tire off, clamp to the roof rack and throw the tire in the back and split. I appreciate the security of having it inside but it doesn't seem easier at all. The writeup is good though.

Last edited by n0m4d; 04-13-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM

That's not a bad idea. I think it would be nicer if it was quick detachable for the cargo space.
Im not much on hitch racks, I have one but having 4 bikes on the back makes for funny handling at times. Having them on top is just a pain on a tall rig.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 PM

I agree that this is a lot of work. My Yakima hitch rack cannot fail due to the design and I can be up and riding down the trail before you can even get all your parts out. I have no visibility problems as listedon the other site and it is lockable from both the bike and hitch standpoint. Go with the hitch rack.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

i agree that this is a lot of work. Go with the hitch rack

Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Welllllll - I wasn't really looking for advice, just more so posting what I am going to do to see if it'd help others

I do enjoy the advice, though, I'm already set with what I doin!

Thanks allll, but I guess this idea won't help anyone other than me at this point