PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bigger Wheels - Modifications Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM

Yes, it is a matter of opinion. You can google search the dangers of putting large wheels like22's on your hummer. Not the greatest idea. In fact in my Humble opinion a bad idea. I've experienced it first hand. I actually got in an accident with another H3 that a lady owns near us. She had 22's, had no traction and lost control sliding into me at 35 miles per hour. You lose a lot of performance and handling in an H3 or other SUV's meant to have 16 to 18 inch wheels. and those few inches do make a hell of a difference. You are losing a lot of sidewall to your tires, which means a lot of rubber between you and the pavement, so also sacrificing ride comfort to boot.

The lady immediately took those wheels off and got rid of them because she and her husband had both had several close calls and both had lost control on wet roads. At the scene is the first time I had heard that wheels like that on an SUV were dangerous, and it was the policeman who told us, and he told us that he had been to many accidents that were caused by oversized wheels.

My advice is to sell them and put the 16's back on, or go no larger than 18's, which are still too big in my opinion. Especially if your wife is driving this also. Better to be safe than sorry.

On the aesthetics side of it, we've had this discussion before. This is a heavy duty off road machine. The consensus here and with most people is that wheels that large look silly on an offroad vehicle. Those are for blinged out pimp rides. Of course yes, that is an opinion.

Your h3 is a fully functional, and capable machine, in which you have just dropped is functionality by a huge margin by adding those wheels, not to mention the safety factor.

Wheel spacers are actually illegal in some states and it looks like it's going to be in more states before too long. And I'm glad about that too. You can also google the safety concerns about those too.

I would just go with larger tires if I were you. It will look much better and your ride will be nice and comfortable, and you and your wife will be safe drivers.

I see that lady that hit me every now and then and she and her husband apologize every time they see me and say they wish they would have never gotten those wheels, and also say they couldn't believe the ride difference and the fact that they have not once lost control in wet or snowy conditions since switching back to 16's.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Yes, it is a matter of opinion. You can google search the dangers of putting large wheels like22's on your hummer. Not the greatest idea. In fact in my Humble opinion a bad idea. I've experienced it first hand. I actually got in an accident with another H3 that a lady owns near us. She had 22's, had no traction and lost control sliding into me at 35 miles per hour. You lose a lot of performance and handling in an H3 or other SUV's meant to have 16 to 18 inch wheels. and those few inches do make a hell of a difference. You are losing a lot of sidewall to your tires, which means a lot of rubber between you and the pavement, so also sacrificing ride comfort to boot.

The lady immediately took those wheels off and got rid of them because she and her husband had both had several close calls and both had lost control on wet roads. At the scene is the first time I had heard that wheels like that on an SUV were dangerous, and it was the policeman who told us, and he told us that he had been to many accidents that were caused by oversized wheels.

My advice is to sell them and put the 16's back on, or go no larger than 18's, which are still too big in my opinion. Especially if your wife is driving this also. Better to be safe than sorry.

On the aesthetics side of it, we've had this discussion before. This is a heavy duty off road machine. The consensus here and with most people is that wheels that large look silly on an offroad vehicle. Those are for blinged out pimp rides. Of course yes, that is an opinion.

Your h3 is a fully functional, and capable machine, in which you have just dropped is functionality by a huge margin by adding those wheels, not to mention the safety factor.

Wheel spacers are actually illegal in some states and it looks like it's going to be in more states before too long. And I'm glad about that too. You can also google the safety concerns about those too.

I would just go with larger tires if I were you. It will look much better and your ride will be nice and comfortable, and you and your wife will be safe drivers.

I see that lady that hit me every now and then and she and her husband apologize every time they see me and say they wish they would have never gotten those wheels, and also say they couldn't believe the ride difference and the fact that they have not once lost control in wet or snowy conditions since switching back to 16's.

Hope this helps.
Wow , that really underlines the safety issues bigtime.....I hadnt even thought of hydroplaning , yeah , when wet could be extremely dangerous..I am glad no one was hurt in your incident...at the tire shop a few days ago ya shoulda heard the guys..."PUT TWENTY INCHERS ON THERE AND MAKE YOUR TRUCK ROCK "....I didnt hesitate saying ,,,"NO WAY DUDE "..I have my 2010 Camaro LS3 when Iam feeling spunky , I will put my key in that..I love my Hummer and want to keep her in good health and appreciate that its a great sport utility......in its boundaries ...

Steve

Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Default once more.

I would still like to know what size tires he had on the 22 's,AND just why a larger wheel with a decent tire would cause trouble.
I can see having more rubber for off road but with the same diameter and same tread why would the wheel size affect stability or traction.

someone who really knows tires should answer this for us.
no guesses made up stuff.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 AM

happythree, I'll let you know the tire size once I get my H3 back from the garage as I can't remember off the top of my head.

FLATLANDER, thanks for the info regarding safety, it's definitely something to consider and be aware of for a novice like myself.

I understand that most Hummer drivers on here are keen offroaders and therefore don't want to compromise on performance in that department. However, I live in the UAE (very flat roads, rare adverse weather conditions) and only offroad maybe two-three times a year. I've kept the stock wheels and upgraded the tires to be used on the rare occasions I go offroading.

Safety is of course an issue and something I'll need to think about.

My main concern was about damaging other aspects of the truck just by having larger wheels on. I don't want this to happen!

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 AM

hummer h3 with 22 inch wheels pictures - Yahoo Image Search Results

Here is sumthin for us to chew on until he post a pic...er tells us what size tires he has....

Steve

Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 AM

so,most of those look smaller than 285 or even 265. are we to believe the inside diameter of the tire contributes to bad handling? if so,the world is very dangerous since most new cars and all performance cars are rolling on BIG wheels,thin rubber bcause they corner better. they all slide on ice and snow..
theres some other reason for the accident mentioned and I think its some old folks trying to be kids and cant handle a hummer.
no more accidents means they learned a lesson and are REALLY driving careful,(sloow)!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Default i read them

its esy to see the pothole argument,its obvious,that didn't cause the accident .rubber band tires will blow.
the rotation weight/gyroscope effect is real but just how much will it affect handling at normal speeds, not Daytona.
increased weight?, wheel gets bigger as rubber gets smaller. whats the difference in rubber vs aluminum? not dramatic.(rubber might be heavier!)
if common sense is used and the offset is right and the rubber contact is close to the same,and tread is similar, I still don't think you will notice any difference in braking or steering.
appearance? I don't want them!,just saying.

edit later, weighed h3 stock naked wheel, 22 lb
weighed 32 in. naked tire lt, 42 lbs

I bet most of that42 lb is on the outside tread where the gyro effect is most.
its ez to see most weight is outside the wheel. twice as much.
im not buying the big wheel problem, still don't want any for me.

Last edited by happythree; 10-20-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Now if this dude fell off a big rock...that tire would smack that fender big time...or imagine if the tire rotated inward...the guy would be lucky if it just dented a fender or cut the tire...could roach the front axle or the transfer case....
That is a 22 inch wheel.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 PM

!!!!!! you really need to get a look at tires on wheels!
a 32 in tire on 22 on wheels is the same as a 32 in tire on 16 in wheels! same outside diameter,could be narrower even.
just the inside is different.
you must be joking huh!

Quick Reply: Bigger Wheels - Modifications Advice