PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bigger Wheels - Modifications Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Default Bigger Wheels - Modifications Advice

Hi guys,

Firstly, I have to highlight that I am a complete novice when it comes to technical motoring talk...so please go easy on me.

Recently, my wife and I purchased some 22" wheels to replace the OEM (16") for our H3 (non-adventure) purely because we want to make the car better looking. Not realising that we needed to do any modifications, we have now been told that we need "spacers added" to the bigger wheels.

I asked about suspensions modifications / lifting and was told there was no need? Is this correct? Will having the bigger wheels with added spacers be sufficient for road use and light off-roading? Are we likely to experience further issues down the line if we don't do any additional modifications?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GP

Old 10-19-2013, 10:31 AM

first, I would not do any offroading with 22s on a 3 because there is not enough sidewall. Second, you can fit up to 35" tall tires with no mods to the suspension. I would start searching for engine upgrades if you are running an inline 5 motor.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks Skeeter for the reply...

Okay, so I may well keep the original wheels for the little offroading we do but in terms of road driving everything is fine with the 22"?

Is the enginie upgrade you suggested just for offroading?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM

I think I would service all fluid levels , change tranny fluid and new filter...you are putting a huge load against the drive train..it wouldnt take much to injure your truck...repairing one of these can easily exceed its value...I think you need some suspension mods...read around , check your brakes too..its going to be harder to stop it in a testy moment...I am not trying to be a big downer here , just pay extra attention to how your Hummer drives and I hope you find it a blast to tool around in , post a pic, would love to see it !!

Steve.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:30 AM

"you are putting a huge load against the drive train..it wouldnt take much to injure your truck"

Yeah, that's my worry...seems strange that when I asked the garage if any additional work needed doing and they said no..."just add spacers, and check the balance and alignment".

Surely it's in their interest to do more work?!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM

no the engine upgrades are to pull those oversize wheels and tires down the road

Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by pearlerpicks
Not realising that we needed to do any modifications, we have now been told that we need "spacers added" to the bigger wheels.
Generally speaking, spacers are added to the hubs on the vehicle to give the new wheels proper offset.
Those "wheel spacers" have nothing to do with lift kits and changing vehicle height.
There is still a concern about tire clearance when turning and rubbing fenders.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks wfturner...

Even with my limited knowledge on this type of thing, there appears to be a lot a clearance with the new wheels on and having driven it all feels okay. My concern, trying to think logically, is that the added weight of the new wheels may have additional wear on the car (suspensions etc.), which may cause problems down the line.

Ordinarily I'd trust the workshop, however I had one garage saying it needed lifting, new shocks etc. (the list went on), whilst the other suggested it just needed new spacers. The first was horrendously expensive for all the modifications, that I was considering just selling the wheels.

On the other hand just getting the spacers done is appealling for cost reasons. We really like the new wheels for our purposes but worry about the headache that may be caused without modifications.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Most people who see my truck and know nothing of off road vehicles are usually surprised by the large clearance between my 285 tires and the wheel well and fenders. They fail to realize that when you go off road, these vehicles suspension go thru allot of articulation and need that clearance and use it up.
Of course when sitting on the flat pavement it seems like larger tires would be no problem, but that is not the case. That is where the lift kits come in and allow that ever important off road wheel travel.

Allot of guys here on the forum have larger tires and have done the other modifications to allow off road activity.
It's your truck, you do what you like. Yes, larger tires and wheels are just more for the I5 to carry around and you will see changes in mileage and performance

Last edited by wfturner; 10-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM

so what size tires do you have? I didn't see any mention and they may not even be 35 in. huh?

also 22 in "lookin better" on a hummer is a matter of opinion!

Last edited by happythree; 10-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Bigger Wheels - Modifications Advice