PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bi-Xenon HID kit installed in 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Default RE: RE:

My H3 is so new to me that I didn't even think about turning the lighting **** to off (it's been on Automatic since I picked it up) and see if the lights would come on. I will try that first and let you know. Thanks for the infor about the HIDs, makes sense. I still would argue that if the lights failed from constant cycling that would be a design defect but if you have to argue with a manufacturer...

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM

tmoody - I just played with the OEM lighting switch for the first time, it had been in Automatic since i picked it up from the dealership. I didn't realize the "Off" button was momentary only and the normal default is Automatic. This means with the Starr HIDs connected to the factory wiring, it will always start up the HIDs (thinking they are the running lights) when the I let the clutch out in gear. In fact, sometimes I don't let the clutch out and the HIDs come on as soon as the car is started.

I haven't gotten a hold of Starr yet, we'll see what they say. For now, I'm going to leave them as they are but I don't like the idea of my $1,000 lights undergoing a power cycle 8-10 times a day as I drive around from one simple errand to another. I understand it takes a lot of voltage to light-off the arc, even though it takes very little to keep it going, so I'm with you about being afraid of the transformer going due to so many cycles. Hopefully they've factored this in to the design and component specs!

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Default RE:

agreed....i've got the auto trannyso the lightsactivate "on" wheni put in gear. pulling out of the garage they lights change from "on" to DRL intensity. when i start up, it's only the amber side markers initially. it's a beating, really, and maybe i'm making it more of an issue. clarence with g-style and i are playing phone and email tag, but i'm going to be posing the question to him as well hopefully gaining some insight. i'm not betting on hearing anything from STARR about this even though i've asked for clarification. would be interesting to know, as well, that when the lights go intp the "DRL mode" of the voltage is regulated at a lower amp to the HID's and/orif it makes any difference to the lights themselves. inherently,HID's, much likefluorescents in your home, don't requireas much power to run so it may be of little consequence. i've got a call into the dealer service dept as well "confirming" that the DRL's can either be deactivated with the installation or modified to be the markers, fogs, etc instead. i've still holding my list of accessories in hope that i can parlay them with this STARR promo, but i'm using the time to the end of the month to make sure that i'm not going to be fighting the warranty later on due to this.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 PM

I have been following this thread because I really wanted HID's and since the H3 didnt have them I have considered these lights ( especially now with the $400 gift certificate deal ), but now I am somewhat hesitant. Definately you all are right that the constant turning on/off is very bad for the ballast and bulb, it will shorten the life so you are not making an issue, you have a 100% legitimate concern. Obviously STARR got somethingwrong in their wiring and they should be addressing it. I will not buy these if they come on with the DRL's.

You can turn off the DRL's ( unless you bought it in Canada...go Ducks the switch is momentary but the lights should stay off...if my memory serves my correct ( I could be wrong, but I think I'm right )..anywho

I hope they get this straightened out for you guys, the lights are cool and I want some but if they turnon with the DRL's they wont last as long as they should.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 AM

mfish - Yes, you can turn them off with the momentary off position. However, this is after they have already turned on so that is not really saving the "start-up" wear-and-tear we are all concerned about. Tmoody is doing the most research so I hope between the two of us we can get a definitive answer from Starr. I'm not sure how much Clarence at G-Style will be able to add without talking to them first. I didn't think to give him a call so I'll try him later today also.

Jeff

Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM

jeff, bumping this thread as others may have subscribed pending talk of the DRL's. pulled the trigger on the order today and dealer service tech said they'd adjust a few of thewires transferring the DRL duties to the amber marker lights if i wanted. they didn'tsee any issue, however, as the output for the halogens, even atDRL levels, apparently was enough to run the HID full on. they said at this config, i could just turn off the DRL's "manually" as we discussed. this would be likerunning the HID lights on our"german" cars with the AUTO setting. at this setting, from start up, thelightspower up and stay on for a few minutes in order to fully power up. turning them off at this point after they've "charged"has no adverseeffect on the bulb or transformer. cycling off the lights, prematurely, is what will cause the transformer to potentially short.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Since the 06's have the amber lights as the DRL's do you think the 06's will have this problem with the lights coming on with the DRL's? It's tempting to get these with the $450 gift...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Default RE:

no, because the lights would only then activate when you turn the switch on. i'm unsure why it was changed for '07's and the dealer didn't evenreallynotice until we started taking a look at how we may circumvent. anyhow, ifyou're interested,jump on it.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Default RE: Underhood Pics

Very nice!

I wanted to get these but I'm not sure I will anymore (I'm leasing the Hummer). I must say that getting these designed-for-HID headlights are the only way to go, having played with those HID-bulb-only conversions. (nasty glare).

I was also concerned with the lack of leveling capability.

I'm not sure it's easy to add either, I believe the cars that do have them, have a 'sensor' of some sort connected to the rear axle to determine the 'squat' if I may. But, I could be wrong..

Congrats on the Hummer and mods!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Underhood Pics

I know Infinity's have a **** on the dash you can turn to adjust the level of the headlights.

ORIGINAL: AMG55

I was also concerned with the lack of leveling capability.

I'm not sure it's easy to add either, I believe the cars that do have them, have a 'sensor' of some sort connected to the rear axle to determine the 'squat' if I may. But, I could be wrong..

Congrats on the Hummer and mods!

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID kit installed in 07 H3