PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bi-Xenon HID kit installed in 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Underhood Pics

ORIGINAL: jng1226

ORIGINAL: CerberusSVT
wow, GREAT write up!!
and they come in black!![sm=wootwoot.gif]
Sucks that they're $1100 though. You get what you pay for I'm sure
Did I plug Clarence at G-Style enough? Seriously, he beat that price by a considerable amount, you should check with him if you're interested. Let him know that you learned about it from Jeff in FL on HummerForums.com.

Indeed they are one of the most expensive upgrades for an H3, but considering what GM would charge you for the option (Porsche charges about $2K) and that it would likely be bundled with an option package with otherthings you may not want, it is a reasonable upgrade cost especially given the performance.

Jeff
No, you certainly gave him quite the good plug, if they were a couple hundred bucks I'd buy them because, what the hell they look sweet, they're HIDs and they're a couple hundred. I'm pretty happy with my truck the way it is right now and ontop of that I've got about 28 months left on my lease, so I'm starting to save up a mod fund for a car I may or may not get in the meantime. I've been taking a really close look at the saleen S281's since a little over a month ago Sun Ford got their franchise revoked, along with my 2008 GT500 allocation [sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif] Those S281s are pretty slick for sure though. Absolutely gorgeous in my eyes... I'm sure blackstang would agree

Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM

I'm not a fan of the new-retro look, although the Saleens look much better than the Roush and Steeda packages I've seen. The last generation S281s were the best-looking, IMHO.I actually rented one from Budget at LAX a long time ago and got a ticket on Sunset Blvd. - how touristy is that?! I was really impressed with how well it handled (it was convertible 5-spd no less) and the sound was fantastic.

It's a good thing that you lost your GT500 allocation, since the GT500KR was confirmed and I just read about the GT500 Super Snake (725 hp) in the new Automobile.I guess Ford is milking the last few franchises they have left in order to stay alive. I wish they would re-start the Ford GT (and that I could afford one!).

Jeff

Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM

i saw that STARR is running a "promotion sale" for their HID's through several Hummer parts dealers. apparently if you order the HID lights before end of july, theywill give you some $350-$450 in additional accessory. http://www.starrhid.com/index.asp?Pa...stom&ID=10

i might need to reconsider moving this to the top of the mod list.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM

Isn't that just the way it goes, right after I order mine...

Anyway for a new owner like me that is planning a bunch of upgrades that is a smokin' deal. For the H3 Bi-Xenon kit it is a full $450 coupon to one of several of their online resellers. For me that would have been getting the lights plus the roof racks and step bars for free from Clarence at G-Style!

Jeff

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jng1226

I'm not a fan of the new-retro look, although the Saleens look much better than the Roush and Steeda packages I've seen. The last generation S281s were the best-looking, IMHO.I actually rented one from Budget at LAX a long time ago and got a ticket on Sunset Blvd. - how touristy is that?! I was really impressed with how well it handled (it was convertible 5-spd no less) and the sound was fantastic.

It's a good thing that you lost your GT500 allocation, since the GT500KR was confirmed and I just read about the GT500 Super Snake (725 hp) in the new Automobile.I guess Ford is milking the last few franchises they have left in order to stay alive. I wish they would re-start the Ford GT (and that I could afford one!).

Jeff
Thats pretty cool you got to rent one! I could care less about the KR and Super Snake. Thats just Ford milking the market. The Super Snake is a pretty crappy imitation of what some owners are doing to their GT5's to make them how they want them.

I'm sure you don't follow that car much, but its an absolute monster when it comes to mods. The only drawback is that Ford put cheap *** crack forged rods in it that are "rated" at only 733 HP @ 6250 RPM.
Why is that crappy? Simple. A $3800 Kenne Bell 2.8H supercharger, a smaller pulley and some race gas has made 810rwhp @ 21psi (thats at the tires, through stock exhaust and everything). The GT500 has the heads from the Ford GT, which is a big reason why it can put down such big numbers compared to the relatively crappy flowing 03/04 cobra's heads

Stock: ~440rwhp
intake & tune: ~ 500rwhp
intake, tune, & midpipe/catback ~ 525rwhp
intake, tune, exhaust & pulley ~ ~590rwhp

these numbers aren't a golden rule by any means, there are some running higher or lower numbers. (variables in the car/conditions/dyno/tune)

GT500 KR my ***

Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM

ok, going to move on these lights, however, does the $1049 "system"include everything needed to install or is that just for the lights and you have to also get some other install kits, wires, etc?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Bo,

I had no idea that the GT500 had so much potential. It sounds like its the US version of the Nissan Skyline with how much you can hop it up. I love the HP potential, but it seems to be let down by the suspension and chassis design. I mean no IRS - that is just a shame for $40K+

If I was into dyno pulls that would be one thing, but I like track days and a balanced approach to tuning. By the time I spent what I needed to spend to get the 700+ HP GT500 to be what I wanted,I probably could have a Ford GT. Just put high-flow cats and a full cat-back on a Ford GT and that would be just heaven, IMHO.

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Default RE:

jeff, did you find any resolve to the potential issue of the DRL activating the HID's each time? i recall asking the sales guy if that could be disabled and he said no. i'm with you, however, if the DRL system could just be theamber markers or maybe even thefogs, that would be better than running the HID's all the time.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Default RE: RE:

No, I haven't had the chance to ask Starr about the HIDs being tied to the DRLs and if that posed a problem. I see that you also owned a 350Z and probably read the same warning about the HIDs in the manual.

I figure Starr says to wire them this way in the instructions so I had my dealer install them accordingly so there would be no question should a warranty claim arise. I'll call them today and see what they say and report back.

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Default RE:

yeah, Nissan put that in as a CYA, for their lamp systems because i think it was their first production car (at that time) that they put in the HID's.BMW always had their DRL systems tied into the halogen high beam lights, and they were adjusted toput out about 25% of their beam capacity. when they went to bi-xenon lights, the DRL system was optional and something the consumercould activate, or not, but the HID's would be on regardless. i'm not too worried about the longevity of the light itself if on all the time, but am worried about it cycling off and on thus potentially shorting the transformer. STARR's 3-year warranty notes they only cover defects in the product and iam pretty sure they would not classify this as a "defect" in their product. were the DRL's configured differently in pre-07 models? mine allows me to turn the **** switch over to turn off the DRL's if i don't want them on, but i have to do this every time i engage in "D". The dealer noted that there was mid-year model '07 "refresh" when they moved the window controls further up the arm bolsters, i don't know if the DRL systems were redone at this time as well. seems a lot of the h3's i see on the road have had the amber side marker lights on but no DRL's. maybe they're just turning the parking lights on, who knows?

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID kit installed in 07 H3