PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Arrow Battery drain....

04 H2
Sits more than a day, dead to the world....
Seen issues with on star causing this, pulled that fuse, seemed to help just a bit.
Pulled the pos. Cable checked the drain, came in at 3.40 amps.
So questions.....
What is the norm supposed to be for "static" drain?
Anyone had this issue? ( other than the onstar thing )
Next step, pulling fuses to find th drain..
Any thoughts on what fuses to start with?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:36 PM

I have similar problem with my 2003 H2. I didn't use previously my truck every day. Sometimes I didn't drive it for two days, after that I drove it and again two days in a row- didn't do anything with it. For last 6 years I change my battery two times and my last battery is done already for almost two years. I don't want to change it so sometimes I charge it in my garage or I odliged to used my truck every day. So most possible reason for it is my DVD Player, that was installed by previous owner of my truck. He put it instead of On- star unit. My mechanic spent a lot of time trying to find what is exactly draining my battery but wasn't lucky to find it. So my suggestion that electrical wiring was messed up during DVD Player instalation. I think it's most possible reason why my battery is done for short period of time. Also it could be battery clamps but I am not sure about it.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by collega
I have similar problem with my 2003 H2. I didn't use previously my truck every day. Sometimes I didn't drive it for two days, after that I drove it and again two days in a row- didn't do anything with it. For last 6 years I change my battery two times and my last battery is done already for almost two years. I don't want to change it so sometimes I charge it in my garage or I odliged to used my truck every day. So most possible reason for it is my DVD Player, that was installed by previous owner of my truck. He put it instead of On- star unit. My mechanic spent a lot of time trying to find what is exactly draining my battery but wasn't lucky to find it. So my suggestion that electrical wiring was messed up during DVD Player instalation. I think it's most possible reason why my battery is done for short period of time. Also it could be battery clamps but I am not sure about it.
seems like everybody on this post agrees with changing out OEM terminal clamps with some heavy duty aftermarkets @ least that is what I have read. Then take it from there. Always start with the least expensive fix . Sometimes ya get lucky. just a Process worst thing that could happen is you end up with all new parts

Old 01-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hum4me
seems like everybody on this post agrees with changing out OEM terminal clamps with some heavy duty aftermarkets @ least that is what I have read. Then take it from there. Always start with the least expensive fix . Sometimes ya get lucky. just a Process worst thing that could happen is you end up with all new parts
I have side post terminals, but what is the reasoning behind the switch out? I can see if you had more surface area to transfer amperage when starting but as far as drainage....

Old 01-17-2015, 10:59 PM

Actualy, I also have side post terminals on my H2.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by E-dragon
04 H2
Sits more than a day, dead to the world....
Seen issues with on star causing this, pulled that fuse, seemed to help just a bit.
Pulled the pos. Cable checked the drain, came in at 3.40 amps.
So questions.....
What is the norm supposed to be for "static" drain?
Anyone had this issue? ( other than the onstar thing )
Next step, pulling fuses to find th drain..
Any thoughts on what fuses to start with?
normal TOTAL drain is 110 milli// 1/10 amp through one batt cable.