PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another Steering Stabilizer thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mp51998
Have you tried turning it out? I mean why is the end of the bolt boxed? Maybe to put a wrench on it and back it out? Just throwing it out there.
No threads on it, so you can't unscrew it..only threads where nut go's on it..

It's a tapered bolt..

Old 06-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mp51998
Have you tried turning it out? I mean why is the end of the bolt boxed? Maybe to put a wrench on it and back it out? Just throwing it out there.
Originally Posted by liveinxs
No threads on it, so you can't unscrew it..only threads where nut go's on it..

It's a tapered bolt..
Right. The top "requires" an 8mm socket & nothing I have is long enough to provide enough torque. It would be interesting to try & turn it out while prying it, but the pickle fork does absolutely nothing.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Ended up having a shop remove it for free since they installed my rotors due to time constraints.

They said it would not come out unless I used a pnematic jack w/ a pickle for to get it off. They couldn't remove it manually. I knew it wasn't me...

Now the Rancho stabalizer doesn't fit. The bushing is too long. I don't have anywhere to work to replace the bushing (shouldn't have to anyways). As much as I hate Bilstein, I'll give them one shot since it's been show to be a direct oem replacement. If it fails, I'll give them hell about it...

It's always the little projects that are a pain.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Well guess your stabilizer really didn't wanna part ways.

The bilstein is a direct fit so no worries there.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryaleon

Been saying that from day one....Bilstein is the only way to go, in my opinion, Rancho is garbage, stuff you would find in Costco type stores...

Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Ended up having a shop remove it for free since they installed my rotors due to time constraints.

They said it would not come out unless I used a pnematic jack w/ a pickle for to get it off. They couldn't remove it manually. I knew it wasn't me...

Now the Rancho stabalizer doesn't fit. The bushing is too long. I don't have anywhere to work to replace the bushing (shouldn't have to anyways). As much as I hate Bilstein, I'll give them one shot since it's been show to be a direct oem replacement. If it fails, I'll give them hell about it...

It's always the little projects that are a pain.
Glad you took my advice and went to a pro, i would of told you to use a pneumatic tool, but i figured, since you didn't have a pickle fork, no way would you have a pneumatic tool..

I am sure they didn't use a pneumatic jack, i am most certain, they used a pneumatic impact hammer, with the pickle fork attachment. .

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ryaleon

I think it's due to the abuse the vehicle took in every day driving. They said they never run into steering stabilizers that are on there that tight.

Been saying that from day one....Bilstein is the only way to go, in my opinion, Rancho is garbage, stuff you would find in Costco type stores...
My experience will Bilstein has been really bad. I'm only going that route since it seems everyone says it's a direct bolt on. I'm honestly not expecting it to last. Kinda like the last 6 of my 8 shocks from the company.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I've never had that high of a failure rate on any product I've bought.

Glad you took my advice and went to a pro, i would of told you to use a pneumatic tool, but i figured, since you didn't have a pickle fork, no way would you have a pneumatic tool..

I am sure they didn't use a pneumatic jack, i am most certain, they used a pneumatic impact hammer, with the pickle fork attachment. .
Free vs $50 for a tool that'll sit around collecting dust is the way to go.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

I think it's due to the abuse the vehicle took in every day driving. They said they never run into steering stabilizers that are on there that tight.

My experience will Bilstein has been really bad. I'm only going that route since it seems everyone says it's a direct bolt on. I'm honestly not expecting it to last. Kinda like the last 6 of my 8 shocks from the company.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I've never had that high of a failure rate on any product I've bought.

Free vs $50 for a tool that'll sit around collecting dust is the way to go.
Tools are never a waste of money, i just used my pneumatic impact gun to remove my clutch fan, not meant to be used that way, but it works, long story short, never pass up a chance to buy a new tool...

Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Tools are never a waste of money, i just used my pneumatic impact gun to remove my clutch fan, not meant to be used that way, but it works, long story short, never pass up a chance to buy a new tool...
True. If I had a good set up & an actual garage at the moment, I'd jump on it. Without storage, I'd rather the tool not lie around & get damaged.

On a lighter note, I got the stabilizer on. Only took 10 min. The quality of the bilstein is higher than the rancho, at least in the looks department. It weights less, which is odd.

I drove about 80 miles today, after installing the stabilizer. It's making the vehicle pull to the right more than I would like. This lines up with the single bad review on amazon. Not sure if others have the same issue or not. I'll see if it changes in the next 600 miles, as per the review.

I'll see if this changes, as 600 miles is nothing to put on the H2, but it'll be interesting to see if there is even a change after that amount of time. If so, I can live with it. If not, I'll contact Bilstein & see what they have to say.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

True. If I had a good set up & an actual garage at the moment, I'd jump on it. Without storage, I'd rather the tool not lie around & get damaged.

On a lighter note, I got the stabilizer on. Only took 10 min. The quality of the bilstein is higher than the rancho, at least in the looks department. It weights less, which is odd.

I drove about 80 miles today, after installing the stabilizer. It's making the vehicle pull to the right more than I would like. This lines up with the single bad review on amazon. Not sure if others have the same issue or not. I'll see if it changes in the next 600 miles, as per the review.

I'll see if this changes, as 600 miles is nothing to put on the H2, but it'll be interesting to see if there is even a change after that amount of time. If sox, I can live with it. If not, I'll contact Bilstein & see what they have to say.
Its not the steering stabilizer, all the stabilizer does is tighten up the movement of your center link, which impacts the wheels moving..

Its your wheel alignment, ( not a diy job ), or it could just be the road your driving on...

This is based on the belief, that you installed it correctly. .