PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airdocs it is.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM

I have an AirDoc and this single unit has been on 5 different Alphas now and no cooling fan blade trimming had to be done. When installed properly with the bend in the correct position and the clamps tightened from TB out to the filter box it holds the 90 degree to the correct position. Trial and error taught me that one.

Heck, I even had to trim (used a sander) one of the outer rubber lips of the AFE to make a solid seal all the way around on the current airbox. I don't care if it's American Iron or Asian tin every vehicle is different even if they rolled off the assembly line one after another. Was it too much work to get the fit I personally wanted. Nah, never to much work to get something the exact way you want it.

A little History on the Alpha AirDoc; Doc and I did notice that the fan was pretty close and that's why I think he mentioned the very slight filing of the fan "if needed". He worked with the company that produces the 90 degree bend for him to acheive the smallest inner radius they could get and still have enough room to clamp it on. Just the oblonged end took a while to figure out too. I know this because my 08 was the test mule for the Alpha intakes. We met for many trial fittings and rechecks of the fan and other items.

By the way we also have an XJ and it has a "make your own" intake and it looks pretty good and functions well. But if AirDoc made one for it I would buy one for it also. I like to support the Mom and Pop grass roots guys who do it because they love their rigs. Saving up for a RocDoc diff cover right now.

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-02-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carbuff91
Well, I ordered the parts and it looks like there needs to be a little cutting done to the fan in order for the piping to not hit. Not sure if the same is true for the Airdoc (I've seen some pictures that would say yes), but need to know if anyone on here with the Airdoc on their Alpha had to do any cutting. Also, the 3.5 pipe and the 3" clamps do play nice together and I think they should have been a little bigger. Oh well, live and learn.
Let me help you out with this email received from a 2012 V8 Colorado owner, please keep in mind the Colly's are even tighter than the H3 Alphas because the height of the motor is slightly different in relation to the fan. Next let me add, if you can follow our instructions, there are no issues. I personally have done more than 12 LH8 Collys, zero issues. That is because we designed our own coupler specifically for this application and press shape our intake pipe with a 50K ton press.

However, some customers will do what they want for whatever their reason, and why would I criticize them? It is about having some making your truck, "your truck".

"Thanks Doc
Fantastic product. It fit like a glove. I do not understand the guy on the web talking about having to cut the fan. I had more than enough clearance. If you ever need a testimonial, I would be more that happy to oblige.
Thanks
Joe"

Further, I was not aware home improvement stores sold 4.5MM 4 ply silicone couplers rated for turbo applications (500F) and all SS T Bolt clamps made in the USA. I know they don't sell our intake pipe.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Anyone care to post a picture of the Airdoc installed on their Alpha (and it's proximity to the fan blade)? It might just be that I didn't mess with it long enough because I was running out of daylight.
Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM

It is a CLOSE fit! I used some coarse sandpaper and lightly scuffed the tips of a couple of blades.....nothing major. Once you get all the blades to clear you'll be set. The AirDoc pipe and fan blades move together when the engine torques so they won't get any closer.