PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airdocs it is.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM

It was between the K&N and the AirDoc for me... I liked that the K&N was an open filter bet it came with an oiled filter. I'd have to drop another $50 for a dry filter on top of the $225 I found the intake for. Plus its still sucking warm air in from under the hood. I thought about putting a "filter sock" on it to keep the crap off the filter but that was another $40.... I just went with the AirDoc and AFE dry filter and came to $240 and change.... I've heard the plastic K&N tubing has the tendency to pop off the throttle body... I'm sure it's rare but I've heard it can happen. I took the money I saved and ordered the ported throttle body and supersparks spring deletes. And I don't have to worry about an open filter being exposed to who knows what.... Just my .02 and I know everyones opinions are different.... I'm sure you could sell the intake and get something more to your liking....

Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM

My point was you don't need to spend your $$ on an Air Doc, you can make the samething cheaper! $100 in my pocket is better than his! K&N is not the only company than makes air intake's
I run an Afe dry filter myself it's great !

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Just ordered my parts the other day for my Alpha. Cost about $80 shipped to my door.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mvrocky
I brought an AirDoc for my Alpha and I have buyers remorse. It hasn't improved my performance for the price I paid ! It a steel tube and silicon tubing the you can buy at a home improvement store. A person took pictures of mine and made it for $75 ( paid over $200) . I have spend thousands on my H3 and it's my only remorse !
I did the same thing back in my teenage ricer days. I had a v6 ford probe and being 16 couldn't afford the big name cold air intake. I bought a k&n cone filter, some PVC piping, couple hose clamps and some silicone adapter sleeves. accomplished the same thing, gave me the cool whoosh sound and no real power gain as with every cold air intake on its own.

I'd guess 95% of people that have them do not need them. unless you have done a number of other things it is not very beneficial, nor should anyone expect to feel a difference. you cannot feel a 5hp gain tat one would get, we've all just been told over and over by automotive shows that it's needed. it's just like spark plugs with three electrodes, nitrogen in your tires, or running premium gas in most naturally aspirated, we've all been told its better but it is not really that beneficial. most people will say they notice a difference because of the sound. same thing happens with exhaust, you can have two vehicles with the same up and torque and most would say the one with the louder exhaust is more powerful. That's why new mustangs have a sound tube that routes engine rumble to the cabin, it gives the effect of having more power

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM

I think one should buy an intake if one wants an intake... Me personally, I will save the pvc tubing for flushing my toilet.... I did the same thing stagg, only I used flexible drying piping. It sounded cool but people where like WTH when I opened the hood... Those days are behind me... And if that means spending a few more bucks on a "finished" product that looks like it belongs under the hood of a car, and not in an isle of home depot then that's what I'll do... I appreciate all the info people pit out on these forums... I'm glad people are thinking outside the box.... But the McGuyver stuff just isn't for me.... Plus its coming from a member of this forum who has put lots of time and effort into manufacturing a product.... I'll gladly support him with my extra few dollars....

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM

I also had gutter gaurd for a grill insert. These were the popular mods to do on that forum years ago, same thing goes on here with plastidip. Every forum for every vehicle is going to have those kind of mods, it all depends on the vehicle. it is not seen as much here because normally if you can afford a hummer you can afford the mods if you wish, just like you probably won't see a Porsche owner buying car mods at home depot.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM

For your info the kit looks just like an Air Doc one, No PVC pipe! Its made of steel tubing. Let's get real, the Air Doc kit is just a piece of steel tubing painted black (no powder coating) and silicon tubing. How is a top notch finished product ? The fit is as good as the finish ! P.S if it doesn't fit sand your radiator fan blade down. THAT'S A TOP NOTCH PRODUCT ! All that for $200 what a deal. I'm not some teenager, I'm a Man in his early in 40's how has been working on cars since my teens. I can pay top dollar of what I want and I have !
I guess I have higher standards than most !

Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM

I haven't seen what the alpha model looks like.... I have an 06 I5.... No part of the intake runs near the fan.... The model I have has a (roughly) 45deg bend in it... As well as a tube welded in for the valve cover breather hose.... It was $155 for mine.... Do you have a pic of your design? Maybe others could benefit from your handywork.... I'm not doggin on you.... I'm just saying, I couldn't have pieced one of these together and have it turn out looking decent.... The extra $50 was worth it to me to have something I can bolt right in.... I bought this in conjunction with the ported throttle body so it's just another link in the chain. Everyone has their opinions about different parts... But the bottom line is, if you don't like something, no ones forcing you to keep it on your truck.... If you can make a better one, go for it... I'm sure someone would take yours off your hands.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Well, I ordered the parts and it looks like there needs to be a little cutting done to the fan in order for the piping to not hit. Not sure if the same is true for the Airdoc (I've seen some pictures that would say yes), but need to know if anyone on here with the Airdoc on their Alpha had to do any cutting. Also, the 3.5 pipe and the 3" clamps do play nice together and I think they should have been a little bigger. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM

I have made my own air intakes for the last few offroad vehicles that I have had. Spent $400 on one for my Ranger from K & N several years ago, but with my next vehicle I started making my own. I've got my own on my cherokee that is our off roader, but when we do the Hummer going to spend the extra and get something that is professional. The ones I have made have all functioned just as well as the $400 one that I bought, but for the Hummer we don't cut any corners.