PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air intake for h3..which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: Air intake for h3..which is best?

I will endorse what Linus said also//And I have a K&N...But my rig is an asphalt queen..

Old 09-09-2006, 03:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

Buying filters that only increase power by a couple of horsepower isn't worth thier time and money because the general masses aren't going to notice or care, and the filters cost more than the paper elements they go with.
Thats my point. The K&N system for H3 costs about $250 retail. K&N says their system adds 16hp on the H3. At what, 5600 rpm? What's that gain you at normal engine speeds of 2000-3500 rpm; maybe 4-6hp? for $250? And risk chewing up valve guides or bearings way before their time?

If GM wanted to make/use a foam filter they could probably do it for $50 per vehicle or lessat cost. That's much cheaper extra power than what the aftermarket buyer pays. But premature engine wear due to ineffective filtration is not an insignificant risk to GM for the warranty, or for those planning to drive the truck 100k miles or more. In a oil foam filter, the oil stops the dirt. The foam is only a matrix to expose the passing air to oil. If you don't service a oil foam filter, it lets the crud pass right through. If you don't service a paper filter, it actually filters better (though less efficiently) 'til it won't a pass enough air for the engine to run. It may be anecdotal, but I've seem more than a few posts on 4x4 forums over the past fews years about tight engines turning into oil burners after a oil-foam filter was added. For me, a couple hp just isn't worth it.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM

I just heard of a new one for the H3 its called trueflow and it uses a foam filter and uses your original filter box. Has anyone else heard of it. here are pics from there website
Sorry about having 2 of each pic

Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Manson096

I just heard of a new one for the H3 its called trueflow and it uses a foam filter and uses your original filter box. Has anyone else heard of it. here are pics from there website
Not too shabby from the looks of it. I think the biggest gain in response is the smooth tube. Well, a free flowing filter too.

I like the looks of the tube, but don't know anything about the filter. Perhaps the tube kit, and a better known filter would make a nice set up. I might have to check into that. Thanks for the post.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 PM

It is the tube. I talked to K&N for my H2 and they said that they don't even make a replacement filter for it. They only make the kit. They said there was no power increase with just the filter, so they scraped the idea. With a smooth tube and filter there was a gain of 14 to 16 hp. I would think its the same for the H3.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Manson096

I made one of these a while ago from ABS and PVC pipes (I made several versions). To help things more with the resonator bypass:

1) Get the inlet tube fom a 2007 H3. This is the tube that goes into the fender. The 2006 version is about 1.7 inches diameter (yes, your stock engine has 3+ inch diameter intake tubes but breathes from a ~1.7 inch diameter hole that looks like a sweeper nozzle). The 2006 has a ~3 inch opening. You can remove the stock 2006 nozzle and replace with a 2007 nozzle. This approximately factor of 3 increase in opening area will help your mid to upper RPM engine breathing.

2) Remove all the ridges from the air box base.

3) The 2007 has a new air box lid that has a "plate" underneath. It looks to me that it helps air flow to the top of the filter and shields this air from picking up heat from the lid. It might be just as good to remove the ridges from the underside of the lid which will weaken in some.

This setup will make more noise.

The stock air box volume is pretty small. At 3000 RPM when you floor it the engine sucks in about 66 liters of air every second. This is 33 two-liter pop bottles of air every second. The air in the stock air box is depleted pretty quickly and has to draw from the fender.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 AM

No one mentioned the airaid cold air intake system. They make a quick fit system for the h3 that uses the stock air box but replaces the lid with an open air system. If you are going to be riding through deep water or in extremely dusty conditions you can put the stock lid back on in about 10 seconds. The air filter seems to be decent, similar to the K&N style filters. I have this on mine and am very happy with it. Now, airaid, K&N and Volant don't make an intake tube that I was able to find but True Flow makes one. This comes with a 3" tube, couplers, clamps etc. and a foam filter that is designed to replace the stock paper filter. This intake tube and filter system is designed to your the stock air box and lid. I installed the intake tube but used the airaid filter open air filter system intead. I also have the poweraid throttle body spacer as well. The whole set up looks really good. Performance wise----while I'm not smokin any vettes, the H3 is definately more responsive in the mid RPM range. You can hear the air suction (whistle) if you turn the radio off, but during low throttle and cruising the system is pretty quiet. However at about 2800- 3000 RPM if you stomp on it you hear the low rumble of the engine. Sounds pretty nice and is not annoying. I can't report on gas mileage yet. Haven't filled up since I put it in. Unfortunately my H3 doesn't get driven much. I've had it for a little over a year and have 5300 miles on it. I was averaging about 18.5 mpg before so we will see. Exhaust is next. Ordered the gibson system today. Will wait to install it untill I get a mpg average for the other stuff though.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:49 AM

The lastest issue of WIRED Magazine states you will get the same hp gain if you just replace the paper stock filter with the oiled 360 open air filter. They go on to state that you don't even need to replace the hose or even take the lid off the air filter box. Can anyone verify this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/839/F8D4A188889D4530A5886B26C3679621.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2006, 06:54 AM

I have the TrueFlow set up installed in my H3. The acceleration is great and there is not the noise mentioned by those who use the K&N system. My RPM needle is at 2000 when I cruise at 60.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:55 AM

If you look at your power gains on most of these intakes they peak out on the gains at the top of the RPM range. When are you gonna use that, probably never.

I love K&N filters, keep them clean and they are great. You will gain a little throttle response but the main reason I love them is rinse/oil and reinstall.

Being a Amsoil Synthetic Dealer I am going to eventually switch to the Amsoil dry filters. Gauranteed for 100,000 miles and they actually filter out the small stuff. Just beat out the collected dirt and reinstall, no oil. They are available for OEM applications on the stock air boxes. Have not looked up my H3 yet but I will shortly.

If any of you need anything, let me know by PM or email.

UPDATE
Just checked with Amsoil, filter not available yet. They do offer universals for the aftermarket intake systems, not sure what is available yet. I will research this information and share later on.

Russell

Quick Reply: Air intake for h3..which is best?