PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air intake for h3..which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Default Air intake for h3..which is best?

You guys recomend K&N or Volant? I know K&N is good but I keep reading that Volant is the best...which do u guys recomend?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Default RE: Air intake for h3..which is best?

I was going to get Volant because it is enclosed. I was debating for a year but i just put the K&N in and it is great i wish i did not wait a big difference on a five cylinder.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM

This be the cheapest you get the K&N for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-A...spagenameZWDVW

The volant is like $300.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM

I've seen some dynos for the K&N on the Chevy Colorado, and honestly it makes power. I don't like the idea of oiled filters though, I come from an Audi TT with the 1.8t and everybody always preached that oiled filters are bad (over oiled filters can mess up MAFs). but then again some people on the forum would have bought snake oil if it raised their cars performance 1hp, so take it with a grain of salt.

on the logic side of things, K&N didn't become such a big name in the intake industry because oiled filters suck

edit: if you're going to do anything serious near water, I'd steer clear of the open element design of the K&N, because hydrolock would be a heart breaker for another 15hp

Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Thats true....thanxs

Old 09-06-2006, 01:27 AM

Do not get a Volant. I choose it because it was enlosed. The kit I received from Volant was missing parts. Even more important, is that it makes allot of noise from vibration. I tried to stop the vibration and couldn't. I believe it is a design flaw. I shipped mine back.[:@]

Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 AM

I'm lookin for any increase in ponies that is legit. Is an air intake system gonna make a difference? I'm in unfamilier territory so play along with me. The lack of power is the only thing that I would like to address if possible.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 AM

Truth of the matter is, you get better power response as compared to power increase..at least that's the way it was explained to me...Either way, there is a noticable benifit for sure.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 PM

I don't believe aftermarket filters produce enough gain to be worth the money, hassle, and risk of premature internal wear. I think the oiled foam element is 90% noise muffler and 10% filter. GM spends millions on engine research. If they could gain 5 or 10 hp that easily, they'd be using those filters. If you're planning to offroad your H3, the stock filter provides far better protection from abrasive dirt. Many Jeep 4x4ers seem to have learned that the hard way over the past few years. YMMV-JOO.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:00 AM

One of the many reasons why auto manufactures go with the parts they choose is because it improves thier bottem line. Buying filters that only increase power by a couple of horsepower isn't worth thier time and money because the general masses aren't going to notice or care, and the filters cost more than the paper elements they go with. They have to develope a vehicle with everyyone in mind because they dont know if some little old lady is going to buy it, or some hot rod kid. They have to design a comprimise between all potential buyers, and stay with in a budget so the cost of the vehicle is reasonable. Oil soaked gauze filters may make an engine breathe easier, but they are more expensive and the customer eventually pays for that added cost by paying more for the vehicle. One sly thing the auto manufacturers do is buy cheaper parts to assemble a vehicle, even though they may need serviceing sooner then if they were to put a higher quality part in. This makes the consumer spend more money in the long run, but the maufacturer is happy because they made money off of the original sale. Think about that the next time you have to replace a plastic radiator in some thing, or some other cheesy idea engineers come up with.

In defense of the stock filter box, I went on a very dusty off road aventure, and whe I stopped for gas I popped the hood and checked all of my fluids like I always do. I saw the air box sitting there, and just for grins, thought I'd open it to see how much dust would be sitting in the bottem of it. While everything else in the vehicle was covered by a talc like powder, the air box was perfectly clean. Only a trace of dust when you would run your finger over the plastic. In my opinion, do what ever you want with the filter medium, but if you operate in a dusty environment, keep the stock box.

Quick Reply: Air intake for h3..which is best?