PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereos....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket stereos....

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

OFF-TOPIC, I just noticed that SCORE thing is back under the "posts" on the side under my Avatar. Anyone ever figure out what that was??
It's a thingy that used todo stuff, like rate things. Now it does not do anything but sit under your avatar to raise questions.
Thanks for clearing that UP???[sm=wtf.gif]

Anytime man...................Anytime

Old 12-20-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: jobenshain

The FM mod is looking better and better...just received a quote for installation
of $350.00 Alpine in-dash cd player...$888.17.
[ul][*]$125.00 in labor[*]414.17 in adaptors to get the aftermarket stereo to: plug into Ipod, utilize door chime, and be able to use the audio controls on the steering wheel.[/ul]

Wow....gonna have to re-think this one...
Definately NOT CHEAP!!

I think I spent just over $4000(including H/U) for my Eclipse/Amps/Speakers/Sub/Sub Boxand all the adaptors!! (Don't Tell The Wifey)
Been there and done that, had double that and then some in my old Avalanche .. I ain't doing it again LOL!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 PM

The FM mod is looking better and better...just received a quote for installation
[ul][*]$125.00 in labor[*]414.17 in adaptors to get the aftermarket stereo to: plug into Ipod, utilize door chime, and be able to use the audio controls on the steering wheel.[/ul]

Yep, I was faced with the very same decision when I looked at the new AVIC ... Even doing the work yourself saves you next to nothing in comparison to the total cost. Figured the iRiver FM Mod was worth a shot and if it didn't work out .. well, it was only 50 bucks!
Check out the iPod versions of it too, they are out there but at a slightly higher cost. I believe those charges/powers the Pud too though .. I don't have any experience with these though so I can't vouch for the sound quality ... just make sure you get a clean FM frequency to broadcast over ... I personally don't listen to AM/FM stations anymore, well, I haven't for years to be quite honest. I usually flip my nubbin' of an FM antenna down to minimize the interfearance .. I'm debating disconnecting it all together when I redo my hardwiredSirius Starmate ..

Old 12-20-2006, 10:42 PM

Hey jobenshain

You have droped some good money on your H2.

It might be a bit pricy but do it right and save your pennies in order to buy a good multi media head unit for you ride. This will allow you to add on alot of really cool stuff when you want and you will not have to keep replacing the stereo everytime you want a new feature for your Hummer.

They come with a screen for video and camera looks. You can add Bluetooth, MP3, satellite radio and then some. Units also come with DVD, CD player. If done right you can watch on front and the 2 headrest screens if you have them or add them later.

Here is what mine looks like. I have DirecTV and all of the toys on this head unit.

My multi media head unit was $900.00 plus instal and now I can add all I want.The beauty is most is just plug n' play.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1501/3DE322E620324E31B9DABC3418AEE2CA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1501/9D4A1B331B864EAEA7CFF560578ED87F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1501/6F61ACB0B9C3436798FABFB76551DC77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys....makes sense to do it right...just a hard pill to swallow this week...
also ordered nerf bars and a spare tire cover...

May just try the FM mod for now...then buy a new head unit when I can buy what I really want.

Cisco...who makes your unit?

Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 AM

is the I-pod the only reason you want to change out the stock HU? If so you can get an adapter that will play your I-POD through your stock HU for $179-$189 depending on what year H2 you have. No labor rate either,....it's a simple plug and play unit.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:23 AM

Basically...the only reason is to play the Ipod. Will the cable allow control of the Ipod through your stock HU and/or the
steering wheel controls?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 AM

yup, here is the link

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/ipodgm.html

Old 12-22-2006, 09:57 AM

jobenshain

I have an Alpine IVA-W200. If you go to Alpine USA's web site and select the multi media monitors you can view all of the items you can hook up to the unit. Obviously Alpine will strongly recommend their products but I am sure you can try some cheaper add ons.

The best part is once you plug it up you can use the remote or the touch screen for all of your goodies.

Do not go by what Alpine retails the product for. I was able to get it for alot less from a local shop.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Ok found this cable to integrate the Ipod to the Hummer stereo...

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-266-1...6-pa11-gm.aspx

Says it connects through the "CD Changer" connection....my question is does my H2 have a external CD
changer connection?? I have an 2006 SUT - with a single disc CD player...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereos....