PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After driving, plastic burning smell near passenger rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
the reason i GUESS the cat is,it works right now , while the ex system is still ice cold, and it does it at every start,no driving, and i rarely see salt spreaders here. plus i dont think the ex actually gets a lot of junk on it where its tucked away.

i dont know the timetable but one site i saw mentioned a bunch of different metals used in cats,,who knows?

when i start,5 seconds,its only exhaust,nothing else moves,,unless maybe its,,the door seal,,!, or,maybe when i brush the snow,,no

Cat's don't work until they get hot. They need heat to produce the chemical reaction inside from the precious metals. Cats today use the same materials (platinum, palladium and rhodium).

So, if the smell is coming from the cat, it is not from its operation. So, not sure where your smell comes from, or any others. I have never experienced this smell, other than on my 06, when my plastic conduit for the wiring harness was laying across the muffler.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
anyway,,i notice smell instantly on start just sitting,
but i think this horse is dead!!. i dont think its anything that matters.
Maybe the smell is from your upper lip

Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM

I found out the problem with my 07 H3... The wire harness that connects power when your pulling a trailer was only about an inch away from my muffler, when i looked closer i could see that the protective covering was melting away, causing the odor... i disconnected it, wrapped it with plastic to prevent water and whatever else from getting in and problem solved.. hoped this helps

Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned
Default i really hate to prolong this but now im curious.

yikes!!!,,it wont go away!

yep im sure thats what i smell the instant i start,darn howd i miss all that wire melting!!,all these months, hundreds of starts. well ill fix mine right away,at sunup,whenever that is