PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Smell from Rear of H3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Default Burning Smell from Rear of H3

Whenever I stop driving, even short distances, I get a burnt rubber smell coming from the back end of my vehicle. I checked up by the engine and its not up there...only the back. I am just doing surface street driving.

Any ideas??

Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Default RE: Burning Smell from Rear of H3

Hello, and welcome.
I would think more info would be needed fro anyone here to make an educated guess.
What part of the country do you live in? Is there snow on the ground? How old is the H-3? How many Miles on it? Transmission type?
Stock tires? Mud Guards?
What ever you can provide.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 PM

I've had the same but thought it was in the air or something where we were driving.
Thing is, a couple of days later I smelt it again somewhere completely different.
I wonder !!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Oni

parking brake? lol

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 PM

I noticed the same thing when my truck was newer. I have an 07 with the 5-speed so I just chalked it up to the clutch just burning off the "newness'. It could also be the brake pads getting a little hot as I live right on a country highway so i'm usually slowing from 65-0 when I stop.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM

Hello hockeygirl,
I have the same issues with mine 06, since it's cold outside and salt on the streets. Thought it where the brakes sticking, but everything is o.k.. With dry street I don't have this issue, only with wet street and salt on it. I think it comes from the muffler-area and stop only a few minutes after shutting down the car.

I think it's nothing serious.

Regards,

Jens

Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 AM

My 06 and the 08 both have done it at times. My theory is the exhaust hangers have rubber bushings in them and the heat transfer to the bushings causes the burning smell. Just my theory, it may be totally wrong.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Check to see if you ran over a plastic bag and that it can melt to your exhaust and that could be your smell.

Mark

Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM

I just purchased it about 2 months ago...its an 06. I think the tires are stock...no mud flaps and I don't see any bags or anything else foreign underneath. I don't smell it when I'm inside driving. Its usually when I go back to get something out of the back end or walk around the back.

I live in Northern California...no salt or snow where I'm at. Only fog and some rain right now.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Well, no salt or snow to effect anything or mud guards to heat up from over sized tires.. Sometimes snow gets up in the suspension and exhaust and starts to steam and smell like something is burning.

As stated above, it could be something on the exhaust system. Perhaps fluid dripping onto a hot exhaust pipe.
Does this happen evey time you drive it? Could it be the emmision system, like the catilytic converter?
I wish I could be of more help, but if others here have the same problem maybe it is a little character flaw of the H-3 once found easily remedied. This is why forums are such a great place to learn.

Quick Reply: Burning Smell from Rear of H3