PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on putting in some Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Default Advice on putting in some Subs?

2009 H3x I5 3.7L w/ Navigation and Monsoon Speakers

I'm happy with the Monsoon speakers, they're amazing! But sometimes i just want a deeper and more powerful kick from the bass, but nothing like competition level! I was thinking about maybe two 10 to 12 inch subs? But the thing is that i really dont want it looking trashy when i install it, and i dont really want to go to an audio installation place because thats way too much money and im pretty good with my hands. So what i wanted to know was whats the best way for me to go about in this project? I thought about maybe keeping them under the back seats because they lift up, but i realized that i would have to hollow out the seats, and even if i did that, idk if that would've even given me enough space for the box. But if you've done that and it works, let me know!!! (Im more of a simple but powerful type of guy so the less i show of the speakers and what not, the better) So just give me some feedback on where i could/should keep the speakers(dont really wanna get rid of the monsoon sub, just add on). Thanks a Lot guys!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Do a forum search. There's a guy on here that installed a higher performance, but same size sub as a replacement for the stock Monsoon sub. Looked stock, clean, & nobody was the wiser.....until he turned it up I'm sure.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
qui

Originally Posted by gpcalero
Do a forum search. There's a guy on here that installed a higher performance, but same size sub as a replacement for the stock Monsoon sub. Looked stock, clean, & nobody was the wiser.....until he turned it up I'm sure.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-woofer-29914/

Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM

do you want it sounding good and loud inside your H3? or do you also want those driving next to you to feel the bass?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM

+1

There ya go bud.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Replace the sub with a shallow mount DVC sub as stated above. I also replaced the rest of the speakers with some MB Quart Reference Series I had in the attic from my competition days (circa 1995). 8" in the doors and tweets in the A pillars. The difference in mid bass is astounding compared to the Monsoon speakers.

Don't get me wrong, the Monsoon is a great system for factory installed. But it can be improved upon without going wild.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Sweet! I like the link you guys posted!
@manson75: I wouldnt mind either way, as long as it sounded good to me, you know?

Also, i was looking around on the web, and i found someone that did this:
(new to the forum, trying to post a pic, hopefully it works)

Attached Thumbnails Advice on putting in some Subs?-subs.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM

I have a single 12 memphis in a custom built box and it is so loud in the hummer that I have set off 2 car alarms whenever there is a good song on the roof will flex but the box I have can only be bought at a radio shop near me they are the only ones who have it its a 100% custom box and it is LOUD but I also have a *** so I can turn it down

Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by asutrave
@manson75: I wouldnt mind either way, as long as it sounded good to me, you know?

Wow, that actually looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind having something like that myself.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by asutrave

that'd be a really clean install

if you want it to sound good to you, under 200 watts rms and a 10" will be more than enough. Looks like 8" in that pic, possibly shallow mount considering the space they're in. I had 2 8" Kicker shallow mount subs in a car wired to a 165watts x 2 amp. The subs were rated to 175, but I was never able to turn the amp up more than 2/3 power because the speakers would bottom out at decent volume. Shallow mount subs don't have a long throw and won't hit very hard if you're wanting a good thump you can feel in your music.

if you decide to go with 8's, don't overkill it with a powerful amp because it'll just be power and money wasted. I've heard the rule of thumb from a Crutchfield assistant is get an amp that's max rms wattage is a little more than half what the sub can handle rms.

I'd say: see if a regular 10" could fit in the jack space, and 100-150 watt amp

Quick Reply: Advice on putting in some Subs?