PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Backup Camera System to the Monsoon System w/Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pauldy
Has anyone seen discussions on the microphone to see why it's "onstar only". I've seen this come up before but never any details as to why. Kind of like someone telling you a cup is "water only" I'm still wondering why I can't put a beer in it. i can understnad the potential impeadence matching of the gps antenna and also understand the want to keep it as close to factory as possible.
I know for a fact someone tried to tap into it for other purposes because I remember the thread. If I remember correctly they couldn't get it to not sound like crap.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Proprietary crap. Gotta hate when they do that. I have seen that someone dropped the headliner enough to fish another microphone up there into the same spot. I don't want to go that far though. Thanks for the info...

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
Proprietary crap. Gotta hate when they do that. I have seen that someone dropped the headliner enough to fish another microphone up there into the same spot. I don't want to go that far though. Thanks for the info...
In the age of smartphones OnStar is next to useless. I don't know a single person that doesn't have a car charger for their phone.

I guess the only merit it has is notifying help in case of a serious accident. If I had a family and children I would considering purchasing their basic plan just for that, but as of now I don't see a need to waste the money.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I dropped my OnStar a while back when they stopped letting you link it to your Verizon account. No way I would pay for their expensive minutes! I don't care anything about OnStar. Just wish I could change a connector on the mic wire and hook it into whatever system I installed. Can't believe that an 07 didn't have Bluetooth capabilities anyway.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
Yeah, I dropped my OnStar a while back when they stopped letting you link it to your Verizon account. No way I would pay for their expensive minutes! I don't care anything about OnStar. Just wish I could change a connector on the mic wire and hook it into whatever system I installed. Can't believe that an 07 didn't have Bluetooth capabilities anyway.
Well, the mic for my head unit is honest super super small, and has a small U hook that I slipped into the top of the left side pillar cover. You don't even notice its there since up in that corner is my voltage meter and antenna for my security system.

Perfect spot, but for some reason that I cannot figure out, most of my friends get echo when I call their cell phones, however calls to a land line are clear as day. I have a really nice jawbone bluetooth that I rarely use in the car when I need to talk, which is almost never.

I refuse to be another inattentive douchebag yapping on their phone and doing 55 on the freeway.