PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 H3 exhaust smokes after sitting overnight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Default 2006 H3 exhaust smokes after sitting overnight

Hello All!

I have a 2006 H3 that i bought in June of 2005. I have put over 165000 miles on it since new and it has been wonderful. No issues to speak of since new.

Now as of yesterday, after leaving it parked 4-5 hours it smokes for about 5 seconds after i crank it. Recently had gm basic lube service done about 2 weeks ago. No problem till i came to the mountains yesterday and started driving up steep grades and parking at the top for the night. When I crank the truck after leaving it for 4-5 hours or more it smokes and then runs fine. No rough idle, no misfires, no loss of power. I had already scheduled to replace spark plugs, clean injectors and throttle body, and flush radiator. I do not think these will fix the problem nor are they the cause although i could be wrong. I am guessing oil seals or rings are going bad? What is the best measure to take to fix this and what else should be done at this point to get more life out of the truck. Or is there anything ele that could cause this. Yes, the check engine light is coming on and off at will, have not checked it yet though as i am on vacation I love this truck and it is paid for. Thanks in advance!

Also, it has done this one other time around 100000 miles after being parked and not driven for 6 days, but never since. I am worried now b/c it seems to do it every morning. I hope it is just the stress from the long steep grades and climbing. Eityer way, i need to get to the bottom of it. Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned
Default . I have put over 165000 miles on it since new

cant help,only guesses,but the 165000 is the best news i ever heard!!!

very high mileage problems,rings,seals,gaskets ???

codes would help huh

Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

smoking after overnight is almost always valve guides in my years of experience.

smoking like you described is a combo of a worn engine. It's going to get worse, but at 165k miles I think it's allowed.

I hope one of the H3 guys sees this, but the H3 has been known to have to reset at different elevations and I think CEI was part of that while it adjust for elevations. I don't want to lead you wrong, so I will STFU.

I think you have done well to get that mileage, but I think you are going to have to rebuild/replace in the next 40-60k miles. Smoking only ever gets worse, if you have nothing to lose, I know others have added a higher viscosity oil, but again, that's not going to get you another 165k.

Don't use the stop smoke products out there. That's just thicker oil and a waste of money.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
smoking after overnight is almost always valve guides in my years of experience.

smoking like you described is a combo of a worn engine. It's going to get worse, but at 165k miles I think it's allowed.

I hope one of the H3 guys sees this, but the H3 has been known to have to reset at different elevations and I think CEI was part of that while it adjust for elevations. I don't want to lead you wrong, so I will STFU.

I think you have done well to get that mileage, but I think you are going to have to rebuild/replace in the next 40-60k miles. Smoking only ever gets worse, if you have nothing to lose, I know others have added a higher viscosity oil, but again, that's not going to get you another 165k.

Don't use the stop smoke products out there. That's just thicker oil and a waste of money.
+1, I would guess rings but that would be from my experience with different vehicles. Muddy has more experience with the H's than I do so I would start with what he is saying

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

I was a little sleepy last night when I wrote that drivel....

What I meant to say is buy a cheap leak down tester and a cheap compression tester and see what you have.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:45 PM

Like Muddy suggested, It sounds like valve seals to me. Once it warms a little the rubber softens up and stops the smoke. When it gets worse you'll notice a little puff after leaving a red light. With that many miles you might throw in a bottle of Lucas