PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Water Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Default 2003 Water Leaks

Hello all,

I discovered quite a few leaks in the H2 over the last couple of months. The first ones I found were at the "A Pillars", water leaking at bottom of the handles. Those leaks were pretty bad but I fixed them by sealing up the corner cab lights. This was done by removing the light cover cleaning out inside and then filling the grommet area with silicone. This actually worked extremely well. The next leaks came from the middle cab lights not having a proper gasket, looks like someone mickey moused them. I bought all new gaskets and fixed those leaks front and back.

My newest problem is with the actual doors leaking at the upper front corners on both the drivers and passenger doors. I just ordered two new moldings for each side from Nalley GMC in hopes that it corrects the problem. If it does all my leaks will be gone. The moldings I ordered are the one that runs from the A Pillar all the way to the back door and the one that attaches to the door near the A Pillar and runs to the bottom of the door. The reason I choose those is, I could see water leaking in from the location where those two moldings meet when the door closes and they look kind of worn. However I am surprised that the moldings do not glue in place on the doors to make a tight fit, thus giving them an opportunity to move and leak. I will be adding double sided tape (made for outdoor weather under the molding that attaches to the top of the door with clips so there is absolutely no chance of a leak reoccurring.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do to correct it? I am really surprised at the quality control that was don on basic issues to keep the interior from getting wet. These issues appear to be due to poor engineering or poor quality parts being installed at the factory. I love my H2 and have it near mint condition with all the work I have done to it, but the water leaks should have never been an issue in the first place.

Last edited by RAHF; 02-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RAHF
Hello all,

I discovered quite a few leaks in the H2 over the last couple of months. The first ones I found were at the "A Pillars", water leaking at bottom of the handles. Those leaks were pretty bad but I fixed them by sealing up the corner cab lights. This was done by removing the light cover cleaning out inside and then filling the grommet area with silicone. This actually worked extremely well. The next leaks came from the middle cab lights not having a proper gasket, looks like someone mickey moused them. I bought all new gaskets and fixed those leaks front and back.

My newest problem is with the actual doors leaking at the upper front corners on both the drivers and passenger doors. I just ordered two new moldings for each side from Nalley GMC in hopes that it corrects the problem. If it does all my leaks will be gone. The moldings I ordered are the one that runs from the A Pillar all the way to the back door and the one that attaches to the door near the A Pillar and runs to the bottom of the door. The reason I choose those is, I could see water leaking in from the location where those two moldings meet when the door closes and they look kind of worn. However I am surprised that the moldings do not glue in place on the doors to make a tight fit, thus giving them an opportunity to move and leak. I will be adding double sided tape (made for outdoor weather under the molding that attaches to the top of the door with clips so there is absolutely no chance of a leak reoccurring.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do to correct it? I am really surprised at the quality control that was don on basic issues to keep the interior from getting wet. These issues appear to be due to poor engineering or poor quality parts being installed at the factory. I love my H2 and have it near mint condition with all the work I have done to it, but the water leaks should have never been an issue in the first place.
I also have an 03 and had every leak you have encountered and I fixed them the same way as you. I have an 05 also, but only place this leak was coming from were the cab lights on top. Poor design and poor quality work done back then on this truck but I love my H2's.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 PM

just the roof markers so far for me on my 03, I fixed the same way and has been dry as a bone so far

Old 02-06-2015, 10:26 PM

Yes, front roof markers could be reson why you have water leakage inside your truck. My front marker wasn't good several years ago so It was fixed. It's relatevely common thing for H2, but not critical or unfixable!