Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Multiple water leaks....helpp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Red face Multiple water leaks....helpp!!!

I've read about the sunroof one, I have that one going on for sure.

I also get water that comes in down through my On-Star microphone in the ceiling....that can't be good to have water on electrical components.

Both driver side and passenger side floor under floor mats are completely soaked. Also, behind passenger side seat where the bolts hold down the seat into the floor have water all around them too.

Taking into the dealer tomorrow...........anyone else have these problems and can tell me what to expect????

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM

All of those likely coming from clogged sunroof drains. The one around the rear seat area may indicate you tubing has come loose.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

It was coming through the OnStar mic as well on mine when my sunroof was leaking. I still had the warranty then so the dealer did everything at no cost to me. They put in oversize drain tubes that drain down from the front sunroof drains down through the A pillar. Sometimes those tubes may come loose if you try to clean them out by blowing in air at too high a pressure but I have never needed to even try to unclog them after the fix.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM

New owner here with a sunroof. I have read all the problems with the drains and have a few questions: If the sunroof is closed in a rainstorm the water should not get to the drains. Doesn't the sunroof seal itself agains the roof when it is closed? It looks to me like the only time the drains are used are for any residual water that comes in after a rain and the roof is opened. Am I wrong here?

daveboy

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by daveboy
New owner here with a sunroof. I have read all the problems with the drains and have a few questions: If the sunroof is closed in a rainstorm the water should not get to the drains. Doesn't the sunroof seal itself agains the roof when it is closed? It looks to me like the only time the drains are used are for any residual water that comes in after a rain and the roof is opened. Am I wrong here?

daveboy

That's what I thought, until my floor was soaking wet from a storm.....Save yourself a headache. If after a rain or a good car washing and the floor closest to the doors, either side front seats or both are wet. Then your drains are clogged.......................

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jbs45
I've read about the sunroof one, I have that one going on for sure.

I also get water that comes in down through my On-Star microphone in the ceiling....that can't be good to have water on electrical components.

Both driver side and passenger side floor under floor mats are completely soaked. Also, behind passenger side seat where the bolts hold down the seat into the floor have water all around them too.

Taking into the dealer tomorrow...........anyone else have these problems and can tell me what to expect????

They will take off the a-pillar covers and unclogg the drain tubes. From that point on it will be of great value to spray down the roof about once a week to wash off accumulated pollen and dirt so that in a mild rain or misting, the particles don't stick together in the drain tubes and start clogging again............

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by daveboy

daveboy
No sunroof is complety sealed thus the reason for the drains. I have had 3 H3's and a little attention eliminates a lot of problems. After a good rain or a car wash, I wipe the seal and the trough with a rag and occassionally blow air (less than 30 psi) down the front drains. The rear drains are hard to get to. You would be surprise how much debris collects in those troughs. So far so good. XXX

Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
No sunroof is complety sealed thus the reason for the drains. I have had 3 H3's and a little attention eliminates a lot of problems. After a good rain or a car wash, I wipe the seal and the trough with a rag and occassionally blow air (less than 30 psi) down the front drains. The rear drains are hard to get to. You would be surprise how much debris collects in those troughs. So far so good. XXX
I have had several cars and SUV's with sunroofs and none of them exhibited the kinda of problems I have read here.
My down the street neighbor is looking to buy a low miles 2010 H3 and was asking me a plethora of questions. My H3 does not have a sunroof, so I couldn't really inform him of these horror stories.
I will pass on your suggestions of regular cleaning maintenance. I just don't want this neighbor coming back to me with complaints

Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM

I think the bottom ends of the H3 drain hoses end with some sort of slit termination behind the wheelwell liners. If so, this is the trouble spot that's causing our clogging problems. Hummer probably did this to avoid gurgling noises and/or keep water from back flushing up the hoses from the bottom and into the interior when fording deep water.

Someone posted about how to gain access to the bottom of the hoses by removing the wheelwell liners recently. If you are never going to take your H3 through deep water, just cut the pinched down slit ends off of all 4 hoses to eliminate future drain maintenance.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

I actually had the same problem until this morning. The bad weather we just had on the east coast had my sunroof well full of water and my carpet was soaked. I snatched a drinking straw out of my soda cup from lunch and blew the drains out with my mouth using the straw. All the water quickly drained out through both of the fron drain holes. It sucks that I had to yse my carlep cleaner to suck the water out of the carpet, but at least now I know what to do.

Quick Reply: Multiple water leaks....helpp!!!