PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have the body mount pop/squeal thing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Default I have the body mount pop/squeal thing!

I've been driving the T fairly regularly now, and I started to notice this popping sound when taking a corner and the body flexes. Also when you step on the brake hard, or start from a stop. You can feel, the body popping, right under, where your left foot rests on the floor board. Same on the passenger's side, except under your right foot. It also sometimes sounds like an old door as it would open or close.
If you look under those spots, the front body mount is located right there. I took some lubricant and sprayed them last night to see if it would make it go away. Today while driving, it actually made it do it worse.
Now I have read the threads in regards to this issue, and I have found two fixes. One is to remove them and grease them, which looks like the dealer did, when it was brand new. The other fix is to use a shim and to re-tighten them down.
I called the dealer and they told me that they all do that and it is normal, and to get used to it. I'm thinking it's not normal for the $$$ I just paid for this truck!
I'm almost thinking that the screw is to long and needs to be shimmed out so that it can be tightened down to the correct specs. I checked to see if mine were loose, but they seem tight.
I would like to know if anyone has had the shim process done and has it corrected the issue? Also would like to know how it was shimmed (is it a plastic washer or metal?), and if the shim was put in between the body and mount or between the mount and screw?
Any info would be great! Looks like I will be fixing this one myself.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM

Greetings 2010H3T.

I just read your post and I have to tell you, I've never heard of such a thing as "They All Do That." I've driven more than just a few H3T's for various reasons and none of them ever made the kind of noise you describe.

That's not to say that none of them do; just that I've never heard one make display that particular symptom.

About the closest thing I can relate that to is the noise that the H3's make when an aftermarket exhaust is installed and it happens to ride to close to the frame of the vehicle.

Under those conditions excelerating, braking and turning the steering wheel while driving tended to make one or more parts of the aftermarket exhaust bang against the frame of the vehicle to varying degrees.

Assuming that the cause of the problem is exactly as you say, I can see how applying lubricant would act as a sort of "Greasing of the skids," (for lack of a better analogy)

In my minds eye I picture a plastic or metal shim placed between the body and the mount as having the same effect as the lubrication you've tried.

Shortening the bolt by installing the appropriate diameter washer or washer's under the heads of your bolts would seem like the logical way to go. It would also be the easiest way to ascertain if to-long-of-a-bolt was source of the problem.

I might even be inclined to shoot some degreaser up where you previously applied that lubricant.

Of course I'm not there seeing what you're seeing so, I could be completely full of crap in my assumptions. However, all I have to go on is the fact that I've never experienced any such thing as the pops or squeals you've referred to.

I have dealt with dealership service writers that have mastered the art of BS,ing a customer in order to make themselves look like they knew what they were taking about.

I think that there's a higher probability that you are closer to being correct with your diagnosis of your vehicles' symptoms than the statement made to you by whomever it was that you spoke to at the dealership you mentioned.

"They all do that?" Give me a freaken break.

I have no doubt that the popping and squealing you refer to are very real but, They Don't all do that and they are not supposed to do that.

If your 2010H3T moniker is in reference to the H3T in question, then it would seem that these symptom would most certainly be covered under warranty.

I apologize if I come across as some kind of self-proclaimed know-it-all. I hope you'll forgive me for that. When it comes to vehicle repairs I really don't know that much. It's just that it chaps my hide when car owners are told such things.

Upholstryguy

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 AM

2010H3T, it is a known issue with the H3/H3T. I have read several posts on other sites that talk about the same issues you speak of. My "T" does not have that issue, but it's a 2009. My 08 H3 Alpha had the same issues and they replaced the body bushings, washers and bolts. I would suggest going to another dealer.

If you want I will find the other posts. PM me!