Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Brush Guard Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Tires are 315/75/R17 Toyo Open Country M/T's. They fit on there pretty easily; you just have to crank the Torsion keys down a bit.

The brush guard is not OEM... I am biting my tounge right now though... would suggest looking at the aftermarket ARB bumpers instead.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM

You've had that brush guard a while (I know, I put it on wishlist as soon as I saw your post!). What's giving you second thoughts about it?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:50 PM

I am still having a terrible problem with the manufacturer at this point. I will try to do this without posting any actual defamatory comments... only what actually happened up to this point and my opinions.

These would be my reasons to buy the ARB or Defelice over the Road Armor bumper:

-The RA design for the H3 itself is actually flawed if you want to run a reasonably sized winch. They basically mislead me about the 12,000lb winch capacity initially, it was advertised to me as a 12K bumper and also posted on their web site as such... after I highlighted the problem they it was not sized correctly they changed the web site to 9000lbs and did not do anything to remedy the fact I had bought it almost strictly for the 12K capacity. I was just left holding the bag... this part really, really sucked for me.

-Then they misinformed me about 9000lb winches that are supposed to fit... they suggested the Warn 9.5xp... turns out most 9K winches don't fit. They then recommend the Warn M8000... this is an 8000lb winch, I don't count this as reasonably sized for the H3T

-After you get the deal (and you will, you can get the bumper for much less than they advertise on the website) they charge you 500$ or so for shipping... there go any savings from that deal.

-The stock skid plate cannot be re-used, you will need somebody to make one for you if you don't want your radiator hanging out. This is a serious oversight on their part in my opinion. It cost me 300$ for a custom skid plate to match.

-The powdercoat I received was defective and rusted in a matter of months, this defective powder coat is documented on a number of other 4x4 forums for Toyota and Ford versions of their bumpers as well. I am supposed to be getting a reimbursement, yet more than a month later it never showed up. I am out another 250$ currently for that.

-They did not send any instructions at all, in my case they didn't even send me bolting hardware. I had to measure and source it all myself, this sucked.

-I am of the opinion at this point that they have REALLY REALLY bad customer service; instead of addressing problems or concerns it seems as though they drag it out as long as possible, It seems like the strategy is to just give you enough false hope they will fix it to not go public about it... it is a tiring and down right sickening process for the buyer if you run into any issues. I couldn't even sleep some nights I was so angry with them.

For myself I thought all the problems had been finally resolved, but have still failed to send me a reimbursement check for the amount we agreed to fix some problems. Going on over a month now since they agreed to provide the check... this is totally unreasonable. At this point I almost don't even care if I get the check, it was supposed to be for a measly $320... hardly covers any of the costs and never truly addressed the fact I couldn't run the hydraulic winch I had bought the bumper for (which was smaller than a Warn 9.5XP).

At this point this bumper is becoming a huge money pit to deal with all the problems.. I have spent so much money on this @#^$ bumper I could have bought TWO ARB bumpers complete with winches. I wish... I really wish I had gone with the ARB or Defelice H3 setup instead. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

My opinion is that; they may have the worlds longest warranty to try and justify the extravagant price they are asking... but clearly they don't honor it when you actually run into problems.

I really regret buying this bumper...

Hope that clears up my reasons a bit.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Whoa - thanks for the detailed response and sorry to hear about the issues. Unbelievable how much difference a good customer service department can make yet it goes overlooked.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I am still having a terrible problem with the manufacturer at this point. I will try to do this without posting any actual defamatory comments... only what actually happened up to this point and my opinions.

These would be my reasons to buy the ARB or Defelice over the Road Armor bumper:

-The RA design for the H3 itself is actually flawed if you want to run a reasonably sized winch. They basically mislead me about the 12,000lb winch capacity initially, it was advertised to me as a 12K bumper and also posted on their web site as such... after I highlighted the problem they it was not sized correctly they changed the web site to 9000lbs and did not do anything to remedy the fact I had bought it almost strictly for the 12K capacity. I was just left holding the bag... this part really, really sucked for me.

-Then they misinformed me about 9000lb winches that are supposed to fit... they suggested the Warn 9.5xp... turns out most 9K winches don't fit. They then recommend the Warn M8000... this is an 8000lb winch, I don't count this as reasonably sized for the H3T

-After you get the deal (and you will, you can get the bumper for much less than they advertise on the website) they charge you 500$ or so for shipping... there go any savings from that deal.

-The stock skid plate cannot be re-used, you will need somebody to make one for you if you don't want your radiator hanging out. This is a serious oversight on their part in my opinion. It cost me 300$ for a custom skid plate to match.

-The powdercoat I received was defective and rusted in a matter of months, this defective powder coat is documented on a number of other 4x4 forums for Toyota and Ford versions of their bumpers as well. I am supposed to be getting a reimbursement, yet more than a month later it never showed up. I am out another 250$ currently for that.

-They did not send any instructions at all, in my case they didn't even send me bolting hardware. I had to measure and source it all myself, this sucked.

-I am of the opinion at this point that they have REALLY REALLY bad customer service; instead of addressing problems or concerns it seems as though they drag it out as long as possible, It seems like the strategy is to just give you enough false hope they will fix it to not go public about it... it is a tiring and down right sickening process for the buyer if you run into any issues. I couldn't even sleep some nights I was so angry with them.

For myself I thought all the problems had been finally resolved, but have still failed to send me a reimbursement check for the amount we agreed to fix some problems. Going on over a month now since they agreed to provide the check... this is totally unreasonable. At this point I almost don't even care if I get the check, it was supposed to be for a measly $320... hardly covers any of the costs and never truly addressed the fact I couldn't run the hydraulic winch I had bought the bumper for (which was smaller than a Warn 9.5XP).

At this point this bumper is becoming a huge money pit to deal with all the problems.. I have spent so much money on this @#^$ bumper I could have bought TWO ARB bumpers complete with winches. I wish... I really wish I had gone with the ARB or Defelice H3 setup instead. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

My opinion is that; they may have the worlds longest warranty to try and justify the extravagant price they are asking... but clearly they don't honor it when you actually run into problems.

I really regret buying this bumper...

Hope that clears up my reasons a bit.

WOW , really hate to hear you're misfortune with the Road Armor bumper. I came really really really close to buying the same, soooo glad I didn't now. I can't really recommend the bumper I chose over any other as it's the only one I've delt with and personally seen on other T's (ARB), but deffinately can recommend it over the RA bumper now that problems have been posted. I've seen the same comments here and there with the RA's powdercoating also. So far, I LOVE MY ARB BUMPER . It is beyond sweet, lol. Really looks good on my T I think. I'll get some pics up in the next few weeks after I get everything completed. I'll try to get a bumper shot up sooner. The only problem I have is not with the bumper, lost a fairlead roller after leaving the shop a few miles down the road, lol. Someone apparently didn't pop the retaining clip in good, lol, it happens. Minor problem so I'm not really complaining about it. I do have a hard time (temporarily) judging the distance in the front now when parking, lol. Bump into a couple of hybrids should take care of that, lol. I'm waiting on my skid plate to come back from powdercoating (yea, I got it powdercoated, lol. It will still look good when it gets scratched up. Why not ). I should of gotten them to powdercoat the fairlead too then EVERYTHING would be black, lol. Would go good with the black synthetic winch line rollers. I had everything done at Teaka Toys in Willmington NC, you can see a nice shot of the ARB on their site under the H3T suspension section ( http://www.teakatoys.com/PhotoGaller...&PhotoNumber=2). The truck belonged to one of the guys up there but has since been sold. I saw it in person at the Hummer dealership, man, ONE SICK H3T. It was massive with the 37's and Rancho lift on it. Seeing the ARB mounted to a T in person really sold me on it plus ARB's reputation. Look out deer .