Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Winch mount plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all for answers i think that plate will be better idea than bulit in winch. 29 i will have my car than i decide what to do.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by theBroken
Your rite and wrong about this. The reason the CBP shelf plate is so strong is based on construction and the material used. It uses 5/16" steel where the other use 1/4" and 3/16" plate. When using the thinner plates the mount will flex more allowing lateral stress on the front frame plates making them bend. Has nothing to do with the location of the fairlead. If the impact bar is torqued on rite the frame will bend with any of these systems if the winch is not used properly or the winch is too big.
Interesting point, but not supported by Engineering principles. The winch line load is the force and the distance from the fairlead to the frame is the moment arm. The product of the load and the moment arm determines the torque that is applied to the frame. The thickness of the plate only effects the loads in the mount plate and it's subsequent distortion. It doesn't change the torque that is applied to the frame. It doesn't make any difference how stiff the plate is, the torque is still applied to the frame and that is the weakest link. You need to increase the strength and stiffness of the frame not just the connection. The lateral loads are not that big of an issue because the winch is mounted between the frame rails laterally.

Originally Posted by theBroken
You have to weigh each and make a decision.

The DeFelice is nice looking and hidden but I don't like having to dig my winch out of the mud from it sitting so low when I need to use it. ...
True enough. Access to the winch with the DeFelice bumper is restrictive, but the most important point is the structural integrity of the winch mount. Access and ease of use are secondary. I wanted to maintain the approach angle of my vehicle and since I only use my winch in emergencies, access was third on the list.

My experience is that when the winch is buried winching on the front is generally useless. In that case you usually need to back up and winching forward only makes matters worst. If my winch is buried, I'll get out the Hi Lift jack and use it to winch either the front or the back. It might take a little longer but I won't break my vehicle.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by portager
Interesting point, but not supported by Engineering principles. The winch line load is the force and the distance from the fairlead to the frame is the moment arm. The product of the load and the moment arm determines the torque that is applied to the frame. The thickness of the plate only effects the loads in the mount plate and it's subsequent distortion. It doesn't change the torque that is applied to the frame. It doesn't make any difference how stiff the plate is, the torque is still applied to the frame and that is the weakest link. You need to increase the strength and stiffness of the frame not just the connection. The lateral loads are not that big of an issue because the winch is mounted between the frame rails laterally.

True enough. Access to the winch with the DeFelice bumper is restrictive, but the most important point is the structural integrity of the winch mount. Access and ease of use are secondary. I wanted to maintain the approach angle of my vehicle and since I only use my winch in emergencies, access was third on the list.

My experience is that when the winch is buried winching on the front is generally useless. In that case you usually need to back up and winching forward only makes matters worst. If my winch is buried, I'll get out the Hi Lift jack and use it to winch either the front or the back. It might take a little longer but I won't break my vehicle.
Your correct, it's supported by physics not mechanical engineering. The strength of each winch plate re determines the point where torque will be applied to the frame which you are correct about. The difference of how much is not a large enough number to argue that the one in between the rails is better or worse on the frame than the the other for the reason you give. Your simply never going to see them numbers. The way the shelf pulls torque and the way the hidden mount pulls torque on the rails is a lot closer than you may think mainly based on the construction and choice of materials used in each. The use of structural carbon steel over a high carbon steel becomes a big deal. One flexes yet is set in the rails and one barely flexes yet is on the ends of the rails.

Access and ease of use should not be secondary especially in emergencies when you need to get hooked up and set fast. The CBP shelf mount takes zero approach angle away.

Your rite about the winch being useless when it buried. Good reason to have a highmount shelf winch. And you can winch yourself out backwards from the front. Maybe not so easy with the hidden winch since the fairlead is rite on the front of the H3. Damage to the body may be hard to avoid if you need to winch out backwards. Hooking your line to a pully off to the side is a lot easier with a highmount shelf winch because the fairlead is out in front of the H3 allowing you to tie off 180+ degrees to either side with your rigging.

No hard feelings, I like this conversation. Too bad more people are not reading it.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM

That was simple short question and now we have great discussion

Many good information. But i have one small problem in Poland in not allowed to drive on road's with sharp object's "sticking out" from car shape.
For now i'm looking for more information about this.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Banan
That was simple short question and now we have great discussion

Many good information. But i have one small problem in Poland in not allowed to drive on road's with sharp object's "sticking out" from car shape.
For now i'm looking for more information about this.
That sucks! Looks like your going to have to get a hidden winch system or a BA bumper.