Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Winch mount, winch and install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Default Winch mount, winch and install help

I looking to buy(no fab skills) a winch mount for my H3 Alpha, I was looking at a DeFelice offroad mount. does anyone have one on their H3 ? I looking for some feed back on it. I'm out to different brand, I want it to look factory like.
Which size winch should I get ?
Should I replace my Battery to a deep cycle type?
I'm installing a winch for a just incase not any day/ weekend use

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM

I don't think it is a good idea to use a boat(deep cycle) battery in your hummer. Some people do go to a dual battery set up when they have multiple things drawing power.

The size of the winch you choose depends on how you are going to use it. I always go overkill on my winches. If you have an underpowered one it will do no good I've always heard get one about 2 times the weight of your vehicle. If you're stuck in mud it can make the weight the winch is pulling about twice the weight of your vehicle. do you off road much where you would actually need a winch?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Hummer Parts and Accessories: Predator Hummer H3 Winch System

This is what is on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Winch mount, winch and install help-920025_10151695256632317_1593302215_o.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM

a new deep cycle battery is a good idea, it's not 100% necessary but highly recommended, especially if you have to winch and cannot have the engine running. I'm currently running an optima yellow top, currently for my hid lights, stereo system, and soon am hooking up a quick disconnect jump start system. once I build a winch mount I'll probably run a second yellow top, while not necessary, I like having the extra reserve and ability to jump start myself should one die.

for what size to get depends on what you're using it for, if you're not winching that much and not getting stuck deep in mud a 9500 lb should do fine, and you can always carry a ****** block with you and double the pulling power if needed.

you can get told half a million reasons to buy certain winches, if you're not a hardcore offroader a 300-400 dollar 9500 lb winch like mile marker or smittybuilt. I had a 8000 lb smittybuilt on my old tj jeep running off the stock battery and never had a problem. when I buy one for the hummer I'll prolly buy a smittybuilt 9500 lb.

as for cable vs rope on the winch it once again depends on preference. they both have pros and cons.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Staggs, it's ok to replace his battery with a deep cycle?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM

depends on what kind. if its just a Walmart boat battery then no, but most people are talking about optima batteries when the say deep cycle, which the yellow is a dual style battery, meaning it has high cranking mps for starting while still being a deep cycle. the blue marine one comes in strictly deep or a dual. if he's running a single battery he should run the yellow top. the only real difference in a boat battery and a car battery is the cranking amps and the posts, marine batteries use threaded bolts as opposed to the top posts. my yellow top has both, I use the threaded "boat" terminals to run my accessories, mostly for ease, so that if I need to disconnect my amp, or lights etc I do not have to disconnect the main power and reset my stereo stuff etc

Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM

Deep Cycle (yellow top) Optimas are the way to go.

Name:  100_2894.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  71.5 KB

Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Hey thank you. I have never heard of that before. I am a little behind the times.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 AM

I ordered the DOI last week and am waiting for it to be shipped. Talked to the fabricator and was told he makes them 5 at a time for Teaka and they had sold their last one. Teaka toys is the only vendor that I know of although there may be others. Also went with the Warn M8000 winch. The Thor bumper also looks great... I am all about weight as the M8000 is only about 80 lbs and the DOI is fairly light. I figure if I need more than an 8000 pound pull, I will double the line for 16,000 lb pull. Worked great with my old jeep. I know you don't buy Hummers for their fuel economy, but mine is phenominal and I don't want to lose much of it. Just mounted 305/70/16 Duratracs and already feel a heavier pull on the highways. Some things are just worth it.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 PM

How do you like the DOI with the M8000? I am thinking about this same setup. Are you running it on the OEM battery? Or did you go with a dual setup? Can you post pictures? Any pros or cons to your setup? Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by TDavis
I ordered the DOI last week and am waiting for it to be shipped. Talked to the fabricator and was told he makes them 5 at a time for Teaka and they had sold their last one. Teaka toys is the only vendor that I know of although there may be others. Also went with the Warn M8000 winch. The Thor bumper also looks great... I am all about weight as the M8000 is only about 80 lbs and the DOI is fairly light. I figure if I need more than an 8000 pound pull, I will double the line for 16,000 lb pull. Worked great with my old jeep. I know you don't buy Hummers for their fuel economy, but mine is phenominal and I don't want to lose much of it. Just mounted 305/70/16 Duratracs and already feel a heavier pull on the highways. Some things are just worth it.

Quick Reply: Winch mount, winch and install help