Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Who is towing what with their H3? 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Is that the factory installed receiver? Will I need to cut the bumper for an aftermarket receiver?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, mine is the factory hitch.

You will likely have to cut the bumper, or get the other bumper (I know where you can get them, but depending on where you are shipping is not cheap) and swap them out. The reason for the cut out is to keep the hitch up and not detract from departure angle.

I don't know every aftermarket hitch on the market so anything is possible I guess, but I wouldn't want one below the bumper.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM

got it. thanks for your help!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

You are welcome. Here is a close up of the factory bumper cut out.
Name:  zrockdocazz.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  132.1 KB

Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM

Hey Doc,

Am I correct in reading your post that if my '07 H3 has the bumper and hitch like you show below, I have the towing package? I am planning on taking the H3 on my next hog hunting trip and we pull a 5X8 enclosed trailer and was wondering if the H3 would handle it OK? Looks like I might do ok.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You are welcome. Here is a close up of the factory bumper cut out.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

You should have the tow package if thats what your bumper looks like. I have the same bumper and receiver hitch and my truck has the factory tow package. On towing the trailer, it depends on the weight of the trailer and truck when loaded. I have a 7x12 utility trailer with a ramp, and it pulls fuel mileage down 6 mph if I leave the ramp on and in the up position (it's a big sail).

Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by midwest
You should have the tow package if thats what your bumper looks like. I have the same bumper and receiver hitch and my truck has the factory tow package. On towing the trailer, it depends on the weight of the trailer and truck when loaded. I have a 7x12 utility trailer with a ramp, and it pulls fuel mileage down 6 mph if I leave the ramp on and in the up position (it's a big sail).
Better than if you leave it down.. then it is a big anchor!

I pulled an 8x12 U-Haul behind mine when I moved from CA to TX with no problem at all. Even on long pulls I could hardly tell it was back there. Still averaged 16.5 for the trip.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM

1800lb open trailer with a 3400lb Camaro on it. Pulls nice. Would it be better with a weight distributing hitch? I guess it would but it does good without. 4L65 trans is not horrible for towing.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Songman
Better than if you leave it down.. then it is a big anchor!

I pulled an 8x12 U-Haul behind mine when I moved from CA to TX with no problem at all. Even on long pulls I could hardly tell it was back there. Still averaged 16.5 for the trip.
Point well taken I usually have it off to make loading items with a forklift easier.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
1800lb open trailer with a 3400lb Camaro on it. Pulls nice. Would it be better with a weight distributing hitch? I guess it would but it does good without. 4L65 trans is not horrible for towing.
Now this is interesting to hear. I want to tow my 3200# mustang and was concerned about the towing specs. So I started looking at aluminum trailers in order to stay under the 4500# limit. But the aluminum trailers are about twice as expensive as an equivalent steel trailer. Is it an open deck trailer? My trips would all be to local drag strips so I'd never be towing for more than 75 miles in one direction direct to get there and this is Illinois, they don't call us flatlanders for nothing, so there are no grade issues I'd have to really worry about other than the occasional over/under pass.

My 06 h3 does NOT have the factory tow package. But it does have the off-road package so the suspension is stiff enough. So other than installing a hitch and an additional trans cooler and trans temp gage(just to keep tabs on the tranny) what else would you recommend? bars? Do you tow in 3rd the whole time or D?

I figure if I keep it close to the speed limit, position the car so my tongue weight is in-check, and be sure to get a trailer with electric brakes, I'll be ok.

I have yet to find someone who is towing a car on a regular basis with their H3.

Last edited by SwillRacer; 02-24-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Who is towing what with their H3? 2.0