PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel offset

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Default Wheel offset

Let me start by saying I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm young. So please forgive my lack of knowledge. My parents gave me my Mom's Hummer and I'm ready for bigger wheels and tires. I'm going with 20x9 Fuel Krank wheels, and 35x12.50 AMP Trail Grippers. I don't have a question about tires. My question is about wheel off set. I stopped by a wheel and tire shop today to get my wheels and tires ordered. The guy told me I should go with 0mm offset. My Dad has been telling me I need to go with -12mm offset. The guy told it wasn't that big of difference, that the 0mm offset would be fine. Any input on if I should actually go with the 0mm or -12mm offset?? I have attached a picture of my Hummer. I have removed the Nerf bars since this picture

Attached Thumbnails Wheel offset-hummer.jpg  
Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 AM

I would stop by an area 4x4 shop and obtain a neutral, third party opinion.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Off set is dependent on the wheel. What you need is backspacing.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:55 PM

TAINTER,

So, I have read wheel and tire post on here all the way back to 2008. I'm a bit confused, so here is my question. If I am going to run a 20" wheel, should backspacing be 5.5 or less to clear everything?? Wheel and Tire shops seem great at telling you what exactly will bolt up, but none of them seem to know if they will rub. In fact, 4 Wheel Parts told me that 35" tires will not fit without them adding their leveling kit. Which it contrary to what I have read on here by dozens of people that say a leveling kit is a waste of money.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 AM

Leveling kits ARE a waste of $.

You need to go to the wheel makers website and look at the backspacing for each size rim you are looking at. 5.5 is stock backspacing. The less backspacing the more they will stick out. The wider the rim the more chances are of rubbing.

That's why I stick with the OEM rims. Paint them black if you like that look. Put on some 315/75R16 tires of your choice and be done with that portion of your build.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bigshow
TAINTER,

So, I have read wheel and tire post on here all the way back to 2008. I'm a bit confused, so here is my question. If I am going to run a 20" wheel, should backspacing be 5.5 or less to clear everything?? Wheel and Tire shops seem great at telling you what exactly will bolt up, but none of them seem to know if they will rub. In fact, 4 Wheel Parts told me that 35" tires will not fit without them adding their leveling kit. Which it contrary to what I have read on here by dozens of people that say a leveling kit is a waste of money.

Thanks
Complete BS, they are trying to sell you stuff you do not need.

Here is what you need to know that they either do not want to share with you, or are to friggin dumb to be aware of it. H3s were designed to allow for 35" tires with zero modifications. That was done intentionally, not by accident. GM anticipated off roaders would add 35s. They were not a factory option because they knock your MPGs and that would not look good on the window stickers to soccer moms that never leave the pavement. Anybody tells you different is full of chit, and you can tell them I said that.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 AM

TAINTER,

Hopefully this will be my last question. I know you guys get worn out with post about wheels and tires, so I really appreciate your help here. I am just trying to make sure I purchase the correct stuff. I don't want my tires to rub at all, so I am trying to get as much info as possible to avoid them rubbing. This is a Hummer afterall, and I don't want it to look like a pimp ride. Also, what I have gathered, more sidewall height will provide a better ride. So I am taking your advise from a previous post, and I have decided to pass on the 20" wheels, and go with 18's. I would like to still go with 35's, but again nervous about rubbing. I do plan on cranking the torsion bars just a bit, probably to around 23 1/4" to 23 1/2". On the wheels I have picked out I have a couple options on offset. There are the -12 offset that will have a backspacing of 4.53", and the +12 offset that will have a backspacing of 5.47". Logic tells me if there is a 0 offset that they should have backspacing of 5.0" (if available). I would like just a little wider stance, but not at the expense of tire rub. In your opinion, would you stick to the closer to stock backspacing of 5.47" with the +12 offset, or do you feel I could go with 0 offset if available, or the -12 offset and avoid tire rub??

Thanks again for your advise

Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 AM

Even with the stock offset your rims are going to stick out 1.5" past the OEM with a 9" rim.

Never had 20s nor will I. Not a fan of anything larger than a 17" rim with 35" tires. Personal opinion.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 PM

So I went with 18" wheels and 305/70r18 tires. Cranked the torsion bars up to 23 1/2 inches, back sits at 24 inches. No rubbing. I am very happy with the look, stance, and ride.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel offset-hummer2.jpg  

Last edited by Bigshow; 07-11-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 AM
rsc

That's a good looking combo. The 18's give it a little bigger look without compromising offroad or on road performance too much in either direction.