Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

What's happening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 05:11 PM
Default What's happening?

It seems like lately there are more posts than usual that involve new H3 owners having complex (or not) mechanical issues, and being taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous dealers/repair shops. I couldn’t figure out why, until I thought about it a bit.

Maybe what’s happening is that our beloved H3’s are reaching an age where the prices are finally coming down to a point where many who wanted a Hummer but couldn’t afford one, can now find them for a reasonable price. However, the same thing that is making them more affordable (age/mileage) is also making them more likely to have mechanical issues that need to be addressed. And as we longer-term owners know, H3’s can be a bit finicky and require some finesse (i.e. sunroof drains, battery cables, Passlock issues, etc). Additionally, parts availability is starting to be an issue, and "real mechanics" are becoming scarce, replaced by those who simply want to throw parts at problems, especially on older/rarer vehicles.

Anyone desiring to own/drive one of these wonderful trucks need 1 of 2 things; either a decent mechanical knowledge/ability, or pretty deep pockets (and those newbies who are finally able to afford an H3 are probably not in the “deep pocket” camp, so they’d better be mechanically inclined).

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about stupid ****?

Last edited by 650Hawk; 04-04-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
It seems like lately there are more posts than usual that involve new H3 owners having complex (or not) mechanical issues, and being taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous dealers/repair shops. I couldn’t figure out why, until I thought about it a bit.

Maybe what’s happening is that our beloved H3’s are reaching an age where the prices are finally coming down to a point where many who wanted a Hummer but couldn’t afford one, can now find them for a reasonable price. However, the same thing that is making them more affordable (age/mileage) is also making them more likely to have mechanical issues that need to be addressed. And as we longer-term owners know, H3’s can be a bit finicky and require some finesse (i.e. sunroof drains, battery cables, Passlock issues, etc). Additionally, parts availability is starting to be an issue, and "real mechanics" are becoming scarce, replaced by those who simply want to throw parts at problems, especially on older/rarer vehicles.

Anyone desiring to own/drive one of these wonderful trucks need 1 of 2 things; either a decent mechanical knowledge/ability, or pretty deep pockets (and those newbies who are finally able to afford an H3 are probably not in the “deep pocket” camp, so they’d better be mechanically inclined).

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about stupid ****?

Also, so many people just drive their vehicles and do not do ANY preventative maintenance and when they have a major issue involving $ they do a cheap quick fix in order to just sell their problem to the next guy.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzz Up!!

Old 04-05-2024, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER

Also, so many people just drive their vehicles and do not do ANY preventative maintenance and when they have a major issue involving $ they do a cheap quick fix in order to just sell their problem to the next guy.
Agree ^^^ also being the GMC Canyon, and Chevy Colorado are the same basic platform, minus a few crossbars. You would think most decent shops would be conversant with the ways and means of the H3...

So buyer beware. Mostly, be a do bee and pay attention to your rig. Like the Guru said. Preventive maintenance is key.