Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Mine is in the shop right now -- no diagonsis yet -- can't find source of noise and was told my '08 is NOT the shaft. Anyone else with an '08 wanna try something (I would, but mine is in the shop) --- try greasing the hood latch where it grabs the striker on the hood.

An earlier post from G Man said that worked for him and it seems very logical since the sound could travel from the latch to the rad supt to the fender inner to the dash to the floor...etc. My sound is a scraping/thunk/clunk that can be heard when the vehicle's body twists (going over speed bumps at an angle or turning the wheel causing body roll)....I hope the hood latch is the culprit....dealer tech said they tried everything so far with the chassis.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Default Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

hi joewcob3
i have a 2008 h3 basic which has only 100miles on its odometer and makes all the sounds after it travels for 10 km or when its very hot i feel the gas and brake pedal are lose and rattling i gave it in 3 days ago they say its the shaft and they will change it i was amazed arent these things tested before they leave their factories or maybe because the ones we get in the gulf are made in south africa???is it like that also with u ??? i had a wheel alignment problem also which they are fixing also i will keep u posted and u tell me abut urs also

wish u all luck

amir

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM

i also own an 07 h3, and its happening to me too... i thaught it would go away... but it hasnt, like every else said it comes and goes.
thanxs to that one guy that said it was the steering shaft, now i know what to tell the dealer, and schedule it to have it checked out...

thanxss.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 PM

hi all
i got the car from the dealer and they said they replaced the steering shaft as it needed lubrication as they said but the wheel alignment was unsuccesful they sent it infront of me something like 4 times but still when u center the sterring it swirves left and doesnt go straight??? i will visit them again in my first service i.e 1500km i had a honda accord before this and it was very peacful if not only for the desert i live in here i would have kept it for along i feel japanese cars are headache free rite????? wating for the comments

thnks i will keep u all updated

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Got a call from the Hummer Dealership sevice dept today -- they have been listening/looking for the cause of my clunk/creak since Monday -- he had some good news. He said the Tech is pretty sure he pinpointed what was causing the clunk/creak below my feet while cornering and hitting dips at low speed. Theyare confidentthat it is the driver's side rear leaf spring bushing. They are ordering a new leaf spring assembly to install. Hopefully this is it.He said they used some type of listening device to locate the source of the sound.

Just before I took my 08 H3 in for service, I had 2 other engineers at the GM Tech Center listen for anything by having me drive my hummer in a "figure 8" around them as they stood in the parking lot. Each time I hit a speed bump and flagged them that I felt the creak in the floor, they said they heard something from the rear end. Guess the sound/feeling of theleaf spring propogates up the frame rail?? I didn't believe my coworkers -- if this is the problem then I owe them one.

I just hope I am not getting prematurely excited (no jokes please) about the possible fix. I'll post if it works. The dealership also reassured me that it WAS NOT the steering shaft.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Picked up my H3 tonight after the repair and NO CLUNK so far!! I won't be 100% confident until I drive it into work and in the parking structure tomorrow, but right now I am about 95% confident that it is fixed.

They ended up replacing the driver's side leaf spring assembly, Driver's side rear shackle, and insulated the body mounts somehow. So far it is as tight as when I got it new 3 1/2 weeks ago. Let's keep fingers crossed that it holds. If everything is good after tomorrow, I'll post the detailed description from the repair order. Looks like the Tech did A LOT ofwork to find the problem -- really appreciate his hard work.

So far, so good!!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
RMD
Default RE: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?

Bought my 07 H3xin the dead of winter. Now that the hot temps are here, it is doing the same thing. The clunking.
Two questions:
Does anyone know if Ron Carter Hummer on Gulf Freeway in Houston is knowlegeable to this situation?
Also is the GM service bulletin posted on this Forum anywhere so we can read it?

I appoligize if this has already been covered, I skimmed through this thread rather quickly. When a thread is 23 pages long, it is a ton of reading!

Bought mine at RC Hummer and hoping they are well aware of this situation so I will not have to educate them.

Thanks!
Robert

Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 PM

i was just wondering last weekend when the temperature reached 100 in Portland, Or......" why have I not noticed that ticking in my gas pedal before?" I thought I was crazy, shewwwww.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:00 AM

I have 9000 miles on my 07 Adventure and just noticed the noise over the last couple of weeks. This thread was great to ferret out the problem over the last year, but I do have one suggestion. Go ahead and place an update in the original post with TSB and part numbers to let people like me get to the info quickly. I am now going to notify my dealer of the problem and get things rolling for a fix.

For the record, I absolutely LOVE my H3 and the fellowship of this forum. Thanks everyone.

Greg

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

GM had the same problem on the HD pick-ups a few years ago. MY crew cab 2500HD clunked bad and you could feel it in the wheel. First repair was just to grease the intermediate shaft but this was only a temporary fix. Second attempt was to replace the intermediate shaft. Again, temporary. Third trip to the stealer got a redesigned shaft that was good for at least the next 75K miles. This was on an 04' and I knew of people who had the problem on 02's. You would think GM would have this taken care of by 07'. I work for GM though so I guess I shouldn't be suprised.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Front-end Rattle...Any Suggestions?