Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Default RE: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT

ORIGINAL: Raffi76

Is this something you did on your own or at the dealer?
I did this myself, very easy!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM

1. Anyone ask a dealer if turning the T-Bars voids the warranty?

2. Can the dealer tell if you've done it?

3. Will 2.5 turns give you an inch at least?

4. Theoretically, this increases your approach angle as well right?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BirdEye

1. Anyone ask a dealer if turning the T-Bars voids the warranty?

2. Can the dealer tell if you've done it?

3. Will 2.5 turns give you an inch at least?

4. Theoretically, this increases your approach angle as well right?
1. depends on dealer I'm sure. Also, turning the T-Bars wouldn't affect unrelated parts of the car under warranty (example: if your stereo shorts out, they can't blame it on the T-bars)

2. if they look at the height of the truck, yes, just as you and I could. But what is stopping you from turning the T-Bars back?

3. maybe? I just eyed mine up [:@]

4. yes. it will also increase front ground clearance. I'd also speculate that it will decrease rear departure angle, since the truck's rear isn't angled up as high relative to the rest of the truck, lowering the rear overhang (but I think that this would be minimal at best. an inch rise in the front that is essentially the entire wheel base of the truck compared to a very small fraction of an inch drop on the other side of the rear axle)

Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 PM

I asked my dealer, and he said it has no effect on warranty, and all they have to do is measure or look at the unsold vehicles on thier lot to see that yours is different. 2.5 turns will give you some where around an inch.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

I asked my dealer, and he said it has no effect on warranty, and all they have to do is measure or look at the unsold vehicles on thier lot to see that yours is different.
Yeah if you look at the ones on the lots some of them will be off by an inch or more from the right and left side.. Mine was and when I took it in and asked them to fix it the bastiches wanted to lower the high side rather than raise the low side.. Glad we got that straight before they did it..

I gave mine two and a half turns this morning and from the ground to the bottom of the fender (centered on the wheel) I have 38 1/2 inches.. I was at 36 3/4 before I started.. Ride's the same... Alignment shouldn't have changed enough to worry about.. If it has, it just means I get larger tires quicker..

Rob

Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 AM

I have been reading about this on and off for a bit and finally decided to do it today. For me the steps did not go as straight forward and easily as everyone has posted here. Actually, the process was easy, but the amount of turn on one side compared to the other, measuring and remeasuring took quite a bit of doing.

The driver side measured 36 1/2 inches before starting and the passenger side measured 36 7/8 inches at the start. I finished with 38 inches ground to bottom edge of fender, but it took about 5-6 rounds on the drivers side and about 3 rounds on the other. To be honest, I really lost count of each as I was doing it to get both sides to the even measurement.

I evened the measurements, drove the vehicle several kilometers (I live in Muscat, Oman so we don't use miles here) measured at a point on my drive then would remeasure at the same point where doing the initial adjustment. It took me about 3 times driving adjusting and measuring to get the sides even.

I don't know now if because there were so many turns on one side compared to the other if this will be a problem. Does anyone have any input for the seemingly vast differences in turns in from one side to the other? I would really appreciate it. I would like to know if I may need to readjust before I put it in for an alignment.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Go back and read Importkiller's post with Torsion bar Mfger info. The torsin bar has a fixed stiffnes, just like a spring or a leaf, you just leveled the front and should not have anything to worry about. My truck was a like 7/16" low on the driver side. I turned the driver side appx 1.5 + turns, and the pssgr side appx .3. I made the R & L side even and lifted the front a little. Drove it for several days and rechecked, so far so good. Even that much mad a big difference. I'm gonna remeasure this weekend and maybey tweek just a bit if it needs it.

Name:  DSC00848.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  246.2 KB

Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 PM

good post doc.....people make the whole tortion bar discussion a lot more difficult than it really is.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Hey guys great info here. I understand everything but this...Which cross member do you use for the jacking of the front end to do this? I saw on one of the threads something about the one behind the skid plate. Is that the one the skid plate is mounted to, and I guess remove the plate first,or do you usethe one under the transfercase? I know it can be done without jacking the front end, however I thinkI'm going to jack it to get the weight off.I'll be adjusting these in the morning so any help about this would be great.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:44 PM

you are not going to be cranking the entire weight of the truck when turning the t-bar....soooo......jacking up the front end is not needed, still a very easy turn of the bolt with the weight still down on the tires.

Quick Reply: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT