Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Tire Deflators - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Default Tire Deflators - Opinions?

While airing down the tires using an air pressure gauge before going on the beach this weekend, another guy came up who was just coming off the beach and offered to let me use these 4 screw on tire deflators that lower the air pressure to a preset pressure. I hadn't seen these things before. They worked good, though not extremely fast, and beet running around to each tire one at a time. Thought about getting a set for future use. Is anyone familiar with them or have first hand experience. Saw some Smittybilt one's like those here but they had mixed reviews: http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/69.htm Saw these Staun brand ones which had good reviews but they cost twice as much: http://www.staunproducts.com/tire-deflator-features.php

Any experience with either product? Pros/cons vs. just save the money and lower tires one at the time the old fashion way with the air gauge?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 PM

If you want the best bang for your buck, go with the tire gauge tool by ARB... I wish I had gotten one instead of the Stauns, they do the job but are horribly inaccurate and end up balancing with the tire gauge I have...

Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 PM

I have the Stauns pre-set to 12lbs....never had a problem

Old 08-03-2018, 06:35 AM

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
Having owned and used the inflators that deflate all four tires at once, since I was accused above of not having used that style or I wouldn't have been against it, I'll just say again how I'll never use that style again. The problem is they are slow because they don't remove the tire valve stem. The cheap deflators don't and that's why they're so slow. Many don't care if they are slow but in advanced offroading groups, few use slow deflators and those using slow deflators soon start noticing everyone else is ready to go and waiting on them to finish. When we are in a rush to get going like due to other groups waiting behind us, those of us with fast deflators like Currie's and ARB's will take them over to help finish getting people aired down. Plus those deflators that don't shut off automatically can air a tire down too low if you spend too much time at a tire or two trying to get the pressure where you want it. I've seen that happen, where the driver would have to get his compressor out to raise the pressure back up. Then there are those who don't want to be 'hunched over a tire' with the ARB/Currie style deflator https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ That's fine but I'll be done airing all of my tires down in 5 minutes total and out helping others get their tires aired down well after I'm ready to go. The more people wheel, the more they are looking for something besides cheap deflators that are slow. The newer they are to offroading or the less they go offroading, the less they believe they need anything more than the cheapest deflators they can find. If you become a regular active offroader, it won't be long before the cheap deflators begin showing why few long-term experienced offroaders use them. And for those using automatic offroaders, I personally don't believe there is one magic air pressure that is good for various trails and difficulties. The only way I'd run an automatic deflator again, which is one of the styles I owned and used for a year or two many years ago, is if I confined my TJ to the same trails and wasn't doing different levels of trails. I run my tire pressure anywhere between 4 and 12, there's no single air pressure that would work for me.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Didn't bother even reading your stuff, because this is "like, oh my God" lol! a very old thread. I mean like dinosaur old. Please no more fossils???
A polite way is to link this to a new thread you create.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator