Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sunroof Drains Clog! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Hey Gang-

My front sunroof drain holes clog up every 6-12 months and leave my front floors quiet wet after a heavy rain -or- I get a lap full of water.

I usually can get it unclogged by feeding a weedwhacker line down the holes. However, this time the driver's side is being a bit stubborn, and I haven't got it unclogged yet.

I have never shot the holes with an air compressor, but I am thinking of visiting the auto skills center and borrow theirs.

Questions:
(1) Have you been successful with compressed air?
(2) Have you been successful with anything else?
(3) I have NEVER seen the weedwhacker cord exit the vehicle. It usually reaches a point where there is a lot of resistance. Have any of you seen the exit point below the sunroof channel?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:24 AM

The one guy said that the air hose will make the tube pop off its connection and then you will have to remove your liner to fix it. One guy mentioned using a speedometer cable( I dont know how you would obtain this) but for him it seems to work well so i guess it would be worth a shot. If you have low mileage it should be covered under warranty.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM

yeah I just had the same problem, I took it to the Hummer dealership, they blew out the drains, all kinds of leaves came out, most likely from fall, but that will fix the problem.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:03 PM

I got some thicker weedwhacker cord to see if it gives me extra pushing power this weekend. If I use air, the manual says use air at no more than 35psi.

No dealers around me -- so everything is DIY.

@FUBAR- where did the blown out material exit from? You could actually tell it was leaves?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 PM

My H3 has an intermittent leak where water will drip from the inside along the B-pillar from the lower plastic trim seam.

Haven't had it at the dealer yet - usually fix stuff myself. Does the rear sunroof drain run inside there (b-pillar)??

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by chimazo
Does the rear sunroof drain run inside there (b-pillar)??
Yes, according to the Service Manual there is a pair. I haven't personally seen them. The manual says to drop the headliner. My H3 slopes a lot to the front -LOL- so I am not sure my other drain tubes see any action, but maybe I should go check after the next rain.

When my front ones are clogged I will get a water at the driver and/or passenger foot well. One recent rain storm it was like someone poured a bucket of water on the driver's side. Normally, it isn't that much.

Last edited by mountainbiker; 12-15-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM

I had to go up to 60 lbs to clear out one of my front drains, made quite a pop when it cleared too!

Checking to see it the drain hose is still attached after is quick and easy, just remove the visors, A-pillar trim, pull away enough door trim, and slip your hand inside the headliner to feel if the hose is still on. It takes maybe 5 minutes.

Twice a year I do a preventative air blast at each front drain, haven't had a problem in 2 years.

I have no idea if my rear drains are clogged since they can't be reached without making it a project. Just keeping the fronts clear has kept us completely dry.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

just tried to blow out my drains and i dont know if it worked or not. didnt hear any popping. I ran a weed wacker cord down both sides and it went in both sides the same distance...maybe 2ft, before it wouldnt go any farther. Where does it drain to? Also, the drain holes are only visible with the sunroof open...correct?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 6spd04cobra
just tried to blow out my drains and i dont know if it worked or not. didnt hear any popping. I ran a weed wacker cord down both sides and it went in both sides the same distance...maybe 2ft, before it wouldnt go any farther. Where does it drain to? Also, the drain holes are only visible with the sunroof open...correct?
You need to use a rubber tipped air nozzle that seals in the drain hole. When they're clear, you will hear air rushing out from the bottom of the front fender back towards the door.

I first tried to clear the drains with bicycle brake cable but was never able to push it further down than 2 feet either.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Oh great. This is not good to read. The sunroof feature is my favorite! We are about to buy a 2010 Alpha. But if this is a serious and on going issue this would be a deal breaker for me.

My 1991 Mercedes sunroof has never leaked. I had never heard of this issue before.

I think two or three of you wrote you never had this issue are there more out there without leaking sunroof issues?

Quick Reply: Sunroof Drains Clog! Please Help!