Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear clunking noise . . .

Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Thumbs up deep clunk noise heard in the interior

I had a noise when going over sharp bumps, like a crack in the road. I found that because of the weight of the rear tire the rear door rattles and it was the making noise.
If you open the rear door and look on the body right under the door latch there is a metal bracket with a black plastic over-mold on it, if you look on the door there is a metal receiver part. Both parts have a slight taper to them. If you take a piece of thin rubber like a piece of inner tube and place it on the top of the bracket on the black over-mold and shut the door, take it for a ride and see if the noise goes away.
This was my issue and I haven't been able to come up with a permanent fix yet. If GM had made the interference fit of the two brackets more then it wouldn't rattle, but over time something would wear out.

I am working on a permanent fix and I will post it when I figure it out.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Default Forum saves sanity

I have a 2006 H3 with 85K miles and it just started this crap about a month ago...driving me ape s**t. I have taken the jack out out it back, taken the tire off put it back, and then boom found the missing bolt on the drivers side step rail. Thanx forum folks! I am sain again.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Does the noise sound like heavy metal on heavy metal?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM

I've got this same noise...the weird thing is that it disappears when it rains out.
It's very loud and only happens when i'm turning or gong slow over uneven bumps.
Did you ever figure this out?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Exclamation

Anyone figure this issue with the rattling in the rear? I have the same issue with my 2003 h2, sounds like the rear bumper support when I bang on by hand. Tried replacing the rear shocks no luck

Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nickydasaint
i see a lot of this complaint, has anyone looked into the rear "D" ring (tow hook) that hangs on the bumper, seems like it could act like a door knocker under these conditions if its loose enough to swing freely.
Thank you soooooooo much for digging up this OLD Thread last posted in FIVE YEARS AGO, started nearly three years before that..... NOT.

Please see: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...bumping-23220/

Last edited by Doc Olds; 09-28-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nickydasaint
wow! Just joined the group today because i was having the same problem described here with no luck of finding an answer to the problem and you rip my head off and become rude in your instructions and rules about your little forum page here, well your just an *** and i will be unsubscribing! Brilliant way to welcome newcomers, you could have at least been nice about it Real nice community you have here.....NOT!
Rip your head off???? I was just pointing and laughing.

If that is too much to handle such that you have to resort to name flaming, then nobody here is going to miss you.