Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Protype Roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM

I want this rack so bad!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM

This tread is from 09 lol.
Chris

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
Looks tough! Make it come up over the sunroof, add a turret base and... yeah! Urban Assault/Zombie Response vehicle!!!
Haha... +1

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM

This thread is an old one, but thank you for the interest. With the end of HUMMER production, so was the end of our hopes to produce a roof rack in larger quantities. We ended up making less than thirty units total. All from steel verses the aluminum we had started working with.

The ladder was tossed out quickly, it took longer to deploy than it did to just hop up on top the roof. Plus it took up valuable space on the shorter version rack, only held about 250 pounds tops, and cost the most to fabricate. We did make a ladder rail that would fit in the original tire carrier bolt spaces. two versions, one that kept the tire in the original spot, one that moved it to the roof. We also cut round pockets into the front deflector for lighting on a few models. That ended up looking better than expected.

Wish we had better news, but you are more than welcome to use the design to make your own, or have one made. Any good welder should be able to make quick work of the rack. Probably stronger and cheaper than any dealer could do on commercial racks.

FYI if you decide to build your own, to keep the mounts from rusting near the roof rails, have the tabs you use to slip under the rail for clamping, cut and tapped from aluminum. Stainless bolts help too, as does a thin layer of rubber stripping at the base of the rack where the rails meet the metal leg of the rack. In the photos the center support leg did not have rack mounts, only the ends, I would strongly suggest adding a mount to the center of your own design. This was the only version we made without them.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 AM

Would you be willing to post your schematics or email them to me so a welder could use the dimensions and additional info relative to tubing thickness etc. I would consider making a slightly larger version for the H2.
thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM

I would also like the schematics if possible. I try to refab this is lighter cost maybe for production. I will gladly compensate you for the information if requested

Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM

We actually made a jig, similar to a custom motorcycle frame setup, to build the few units we worked with. I will check and see if we have anything on the pc for the jig setup.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Love it, could go without the ladder, i would be a definite buyer

Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Default Have any left?

Are all 30 are sold and gone? Got one in the shed you are holding on to?

Quick Reply: Protype Roof rack