Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Protype Roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Default Something affordable for a HUMMER??

I was cynical on this project as I continued to read until I came up on your pricing. My biggest frustration with the H3 to this point is the overwhelming cost to buy parts that look good and function well. While my next door neighbor and his Jeep Wrangler enjoy multitudes of inexpensive, functional, and cool add-ons, we suffer with the outrageously priced, limited HUMMER options. I became boxed in trying to pick one of five (or less) available bumpers that would fit my H3 and house a winch (and look super cool) that I resorted to having one built. As it would happen, that project did not work as planned, and I am now in the process of adapting and modifying a pre-made bumper for another vehicle. It is inexpensive, cool, and will house a winch. Not a perfect fit, by any means, but outside the box that H3's currently live in. Back to your rack--a product that is tailored to a customer's needs, and easily half the cost of the leading and only rack that truly looks good on the H3. The added capability for hauling bigger items without borrowing my buddies truck is appealing, and I really want the bonus of having a lightbar on the roof just in front of the sunroof--you have to make a rack that goes forward of the sunroof to accomodate lights! More power to you to keep this sucker light--my I-5 thanks you; and inexpensive, my wife thanks you. I don't see H3's going away anytime soon, so your market is here. I look forward to your final product and options. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM

The newer ladder design is all aluminum instead of steel and aluminum. Instead of hinging on the top rail, the newer design will lay under the rack and hinge on the lower, stronger rail. The newer design is being tested, but looks promising and doesn't take up any rack space. The rungs are also fixed as there is no need to fold them if the ladder is under the rack and out of the way. It should fit near a 35 rear mount no problem. We are also toying with a side mount slider that braces against the rear tire and can be swapped on either side. " No possibility to harm factory paint!" But that idea is tricky.

As for pricing. I think the H3 is so new that higher cost on many items will be common for a wjile. But it isn't a neccessary. Jeeps have been around for a while so R&D and overhead cost drop based on need and competition. I think general pricing overall may drop as time goes by. Especially if GM keeps churning out Hummers.

Last edited by BrickWurX Mfg.; 05-24-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 AM

keep them affordable and you will do well, i beleive you have an audience lol, you have to make a matching bumpers imo, ecto skeletons would be a hit imo. i think the tactical needs an ectoskeleton for crashing thru walls.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrickWurX Mfg.
Size is specific, as the adapters for the H3 can be swapped to fit a Cherokee, Fj, and a few other model vehicles. The design itself and the ability to work with other model trucks will allow us to reach more customers and still keep costs low.
A cost-effective rack the equally serves HUMMER, Yota, and Jeep enthusiasts?

What's next, dogs and cats living together in harmony and flying cows?

Your business model seems spot on and we look forward to your progress.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Default Last Page

I too have this same problem, I want to return the last page in details from an add record. So the user adds a record and is then taken to the details page with the record they have just added presented to them. _______=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===

Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrickWurX Mfg.
Ok guys, we have made a prototype roof rack we are thinking about making a jig for and manufacturing for resale. Opinions would be highly appreciated. We have no idea on the base cost as of yet. A total would depend on the finished product verses materials, size and accessories. It would also be a few more months before we would be able to begin production as we are currently working on construction of a new shop. The rack is made of high grade cold rolled steel, with a grid based floor, meaning it will hold a man no problem. The rack will bolt directly to the roof rails and line up about the same width with no hangover. We could make them longer for customers without a sunroof. We are also looking into counter sinking roof lighting into the side deflectors, two on each side that would match the lower grill driving lights in design. The center shield has been left for flush placement of a custom tool or small storage box of sorts.

The rack will allow a 37” spare to fit between the collapsible folding ladder and the high lift jack. The ladder hinges at the top, breaks in half via a center second hinge, also the rungs fold upwards and then hinge up and over to sit beside the tire. This keeps it out of the way! The rack is designed to hold a high lift jack in a “jack guard” protective case. The jack can be easily removed from the back by the cover while still on the rack, or the rack is designed for “drop in” use, meaning the entire case can lift up and out then be taken down!
Our concerns are materials, metal verses aluminum. This effects durability, rust issues, and shipping costs based on weight. Ease of use. Finish, powder coating verses professional truck bed lining. Accessories such as the air deflector storage and lighting systems, shovel and ax mounts, cb mounts, etc. Looks are important as many rack on the market do not address wind drag issues. Especially if a tire is mounted on top. Thank for the input!
Bricks

Note the Jack Guard Drop In Rail Guards.

Access from the lift from the roof or you can remove the entire unit by simply pulling up and out.

The forward air deflector is welded in at a sharp angle providing better wind resistance. There is room for additional reccessed lighting on either side and storage space in the center.

The roof ladder breaks down and folds away neatly beside the tire.

Above is a picture of the break in the folding ladder section. Double welded with a rubber insert for strength.

The unfolded ladder rests agaist the heavy welded seem of the rear door allowing extra support without wapring or bending the sheet metal. Rubber bumper pads are used to protect the paint.

Aircraft t6061 aluminum is used for the folding rung system.

Rated at a 750lb load rate each section the rungs are under a half inch thick cut for traction and strong as sin.

Folding ladder completely extracted for use.

Let us know what you think? Ideas and improvements are always welcome. Also check out the Hummer Forum gallery for our pics that include a custom center dash console and our other NON Hummer Protytype project!

That is FRIKEN AWESOME!!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Necro BUMP!! Anyone end up with one of these?? It's Roof Rack time for me. With all the offroad fabricators in the greater Phoenix Area and the long lead on decent commercial racks I think I'm gonna have one made, but this rack is very cool!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Default I like that roof rack

Interested as well, did this ever get made?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 8lug
Necro BUMP!! Anyone end up with one of these?? It's Roof Rack time for me. With all the offroad fabricators in the greater Phoenix Area and the long lead on decent commercial racks I think I'm gonna have one made, but this rack is very cool!
Wow....an old necro bump at that lmao...

What ever came of this...? Anyone know? The only reason I ask is because the rack looks pretty sharp to me. I think it would look heck of a lot better if it came all the way forward

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
rsc

Looks tough! Make it come up over the sunroof, add a turret base and... yeah! Urban Assault/Zombie Response vehicle!!!

Quick Reply: Protype Roof rack