Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Protype Roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM

I would be interested in an alum model, either naked or powder coated. I would also be more interested in a basic version without the jack case area but with tabs for 360 degree lighting.

PS: It may been discussed already, but is that spare tire carrier cover made from a baking pan? Seems like a clever idea to me.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Your right about the spare tire cover. We looked all over for a fix that would allow us to keep the breather vent in the rear and allow a spacer for air flow. With all the different ideas we looked into, this one was not only easy, but was pressed from steel and had enough space to tuck electronics! It was also teflon coated, a big plus. This was an idea from one of my painters girlfriend, she had it taped to the back of the truck with a note about how we over complicate everything!

We are working on a cover that has a hide away ladder. We like the idea better than the roof rack ladder prototype. first rung would lower down, and a top rung would lift up and the center step would fold out. All of it would fold colapse inside a box about the same size and still allow for an antenna.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM

I love the design! Have you looked into aluminized paint like used on exhaust systems? The success of your product is all going to boil down to the price.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 AM

We will check into the aluminum based paint, but we are leaning towards powder coating as a primary finish. this will provide the smoothest over all look an powder coating has a history of being a very durable finish. Power coating will also allow us to offer a matte, satin, or gloss finishes, with the possibility to color match for those few customers that want to get away from standard black. Bed liner products are no longer a choice based on price, additional weight, and over all looks, basically ugly as sin!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM

How close are you to pricing? Will the buyer be able to select options?
Given any thought to stainless steel?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM

I don't think we would use stainless steel. The cost of metals has went up three fold in less than two years, aluminum more than that. Our goal was to provide a product that didn't cost what other custom manufacturers requested. or if it did, had more options, better strength, and better wind flow. The base rack would be the shorty shown in the photos. Another 100 dollars should cover the extended rack for customers who do not have the sun roof.

All additions would be optional. The jack guard PVC case would come with the custom cut in if purchased as an option. The tire bolt and ladder could be order separately along with the shovel and ax mounts ( not shown) and the storage tray ( not shown). The recessed lighting would come assembled with wiring ran as an add on as well along with CB and side and rear lighting tabs.

We are looking into lighter components depending on the usage. We may use a channeled floor panel that would accept stainless or aluminum panels instead of welded steel. The flooring gets the most abuse, wear, and water damage. Something other than cold rolled steel would be more beneficial. We have also looked into round, eliptical, or rectangle steel verses square stock. Turning rectagle stock on its side is much stronger and we can use lighter steel or aluminum. We are also playing with a hinged mounting system that would allow the owner to lift one side in order to clean or better move or completely remove the rack. Once the new shop has been completed we plan on selling this prototype and starting fresh with newer designs. instead of steel tubing or spacers we can use plating between the rungs. Things will look much better and fit tighter once the plasma/ router table has been re assembled for cutting!

As a guess, so far the suggested prices would be similar to below. Shipping would change based on accessories and length of rack. I would prefer building from aluminum other shop guys don't agree, our supplier is checking on pricing in bulk along with pre cut lengths for quicker assembly. Welds look better, flex more, and weigh less than half the steel version when we use aluminum. There are pro's and con's on both sides I suppose.

495.95 Shorty roof rack
595.95 Standard Long Rack
149.95 Recessed housing with four premium lights and wiring included
44.95 Forward hidden storage box
74.95 Hi-lift jack case and mount
14.95 Tire bolt assembly
54.95 Shovel and ax mount
84.95 Folding roof ladder
7.95 CB antenna & 360 Light tabs mounting tab
1080.55 Shorty Complete Package
1180.55 Standard long Package

While our prices seem average compared to rack systems such as Gobi. Remember they include everything and can be selected seperately per requess. Our only concern is the over all need for product verses jig setup and plasma cutter costs. If GM drops the Hummer line we may only do individual orders instead of setting up site were a customer may build there on rack made to order. All racks would be made to order per purchase.

Normally we make gas tanks, frames, and oil tanks for custom choppers. Steel is about the only option in that field for limited tolerence parts. This forum is a great place to get customer feedback before we get started on a final project!

Last edited by BrickWurX Mfg.; 03-11-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 AM

i want...

Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Those prices sound reasonable. I really like the look and the design functionality.

With the front profile it looks as though it would produce less wind noise and drag than some of the other roof racks I've seen. Have you done any noise measurement or checked effect on gas mileage?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 PM

We are running it through some driving tests now. The bed liner produces more drag than good because its not a smooth finish. Thats was enough reason to shelf the liner idea for good.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 AM

if your looking at difrent metals to use look at 6061 t6 alu it is an aircraft grade aluminum found in 747`s and most Racecars but if your stuck on steel go with chro-moly its lighter then mild steel and twice as strong

Quick Reply: Protype Roof rack